This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stopped a scam before it even went through

ok...last week i was shopping with my aunt and i got a call from this "agency." this is what happened: K= SS=Stupid Scammer

*phone rings and i pick it up*

K=Hello?

SS: Hi there! is this Kitty?

K=Speaking. whose this?

SS: Oh, hi! This is *stupid scammer that don't know shit* company and we just want to inform you that you won an all expense paid trip to Hawaii!

K= *thinks no i didn't. i don't enter those contests. but i decide to "play along"

K= really? thats awesome!

SS: I know! right? well we have your tickets here and all you have to do is come and pick them up. we are located in the building next to mart of wall. all we need is your social security to put a claim on the tickets.

K= social security??

SS: yep!

k= since when do you need my social for me to claim my prize? if this is a legitimate contest you do NOT need my social to send tickets. FUCK YOU SCAMMER. *click*

just to be an ass i decide to call back and the number is "not in service"
    and the stupid pricks call back.

SS: FUCK YOU TOO! IF YOU DONT WANT YOUR PRIZE WE'LL GIVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE! F@GGOT!

i hang up on those assholes and my aunt told me i just stopped a scam dead in its tracks and the "winning prize" was a fake. and the building next to walmart was either invisible or really hidden well.

i have an idea of who it was because as we got out of the car i overheard two women discuss amongst themselves that "some bitch didn't fall for it and that she needed her ass whooped for talking crazy." i decided that confronting them would be a waste of time because i had no solid proof it was even them and just my luck they would have been talking about someone else.
    NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Wow! What are the odds that you'd run into someone talking so blatantly about a phone scam they'd pulled on you that same day? That sounds truly unbelievable!

Comment

I don't get their logic, you need to get your ass beat for not falling for bullshit? Sounds to me like someone needs to beat their ass.
      ......../\
      ....../__\
      ..../\...../\
      ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
        I don't get their logic, you need to get your ass beat for not falling for bullshit?
        Obviously a variation on NO=Rude
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I had several phone calls from a scammer, made me laugh! They called several times to tell me that I needed a lawyer because the United States government blackflagged my social security number and if I did not contact their attorney by the next day then I would 1) lose my job 2) get evicted from my home 3) be arrested by the police, all this would happen because I owed money to their company. I kept telling them not to call and called them out on their scam but they kept the calls up until my husband took the phone out of my hands and told the person that if he did not stop calling he would search for him and f**k him up! I have not heard from them since!! Ha!Ha! Oh and they also sent me a e-mail stating that I was guilty of bank fraud, money laundering and failure to pay a debt! Seriously, did they think I would actually believe such bullshit! I googled the number and found that tons of people have actually fallen for the scam, people were posting that they were scared because they thought they were going to lose their jobs and go to jail! Holy crap, this is the USA, you do not get arrested for not paying a debt, if that was the case the whole darn country would be in jail!! I still can't believe how stupid people are to fall for that malarkey!!!!

Comment

Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
            the United States government blackflagged my social security number and if I did not contact their attorney by the next day then I would 1) lose my job 2) get evicted from my home 3) be arrested by the police, all this would happen because I owed money to their company.
            My brain went into 'screeching halt' mode about there.

Nooo.... that's not how modern societies deal with civil unpaid debt.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
              Holy crap, this is the USA, you do not get arrested for not paying a debt, if that was the case the whole darn country would be in jail!! I still can't believe how stupid people are to fall for that malarkey!!!!
              Sadly, this happens. It goes like this: Debtor (or, rather, alleged debtor), doesn't pay debt. They are sued for the debt. The debtor doesn't show up for the hearing. (Most don't.) They then do not pay or respond to the judgement that is inevitably lodged against them. Another hearing is then scheduled to determine how the debtor is going to pay. Depending on the state, an arrest warrant is then issued for either Failure to Appear or Contempt. Often, the amount of the "bail" is equal to the amount owed, and the bail is turned over to the creditor. (This is not how bail is supposed to work...)

In many cases, service was defective, the debt may not even be valid, etc. But you can't fight any of that from the wrong side of the jail cell.

To get out of jail, you generally have to either A) Post Bail, B) Pay the amount of the judgement, or C) Fill out a financial disclosure form, which can then be used to possibly seize/garnish sufficient money to pay the debt. (You don't have to actually have the money... you just have to fill out the form detailing what money you have.) This process generally takes about eight hours or so from when you are booked.

So, basically, you aren't technically being tossed in jail for not paying the debt, you are being tossed in jail for not telling the court why. (At the hearing you may or may not have actually gotten a summons for.)

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
                That sounds truly unbelievable!
                Ditto!!! What an amazing coincidence. Is that the definition of serendipity?
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I know! If you heard it anywhere else you'd think it was made up. I mean, do people talk so obviously about trying to scam? Holy moly, some people are just nuts!

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                    Sadly, this happens. It goes like this: Debtor (or, rather, alleged debtor), doesn't pay debt. They are sued for the debt. The debtor doesn't show up for the hearing. (Most don't.) They then do not pay or respond to the judgement that is inevitably lodged against them. Another hearing is then scheduled to determine how the debtor is going to pay. Depending on the state, an arrest warrant is then issued for either Failure to Appear or Contempt. Often, the amount of the "bail" is equal to the amount owed, and the bail is turned over to the creditor. (This is not how bail is supposed to work...)

In many cases, service was defective, the debt may not even be valid, etc. But you can't fight any of that from the wrong side of the jail cell.

To get out of jail, you generally have to either A) Post Bail, B) Pay the amount of the judgement, or C) Fill out a financial disclosure form, which can then be used to possibly seize/garnish sufficient money to pay the debt. (You don't have to actually have the money... you just have to fill out the form detailing what money you have.) This process generally takes about eight hours or so from when you are booked.

So, basically, you aren't technically being tossed in jail for not paying the debt, you are being tossed in jail for not telling the court why. (At the hearing you may or may not have actually gotten a summons for.)
                    I have been sued at least three times for debt, two were doctor bills and one was and old phone bill and I never showed up to court nor was I ever arrested! I was just served papers showing that I lost and then had a garnishment of my wages. What you are describing does not happen in my state, it must be something that happens on state levels, but I have never heard of anyone being jailed for not appearing in civil court after being sued for a debt. Strange! The papers I have been served always said that if I fail to appear in court then I lose the suit and the debtor is then allowed to collect through legal means (garnishment). Granted it has been at least 20 years since this has happened.
                    Last edited by jnd4rusty; 02-17-2013, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X