This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech advice?

So my business is gonna try and do some local sales, at a few con's, festivals, and flea markets. We've got the inventory lined up, and booths all but rented.

however these days its more likely for people to carry credit/debit cards, and I'm looking to invest in a tablet of some sort that can support the paypal card app and reader.

I'm looking to maybe spend no more then $200...any suggestions?
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

For this purpose, you'll need a tablet with 3G/4G. You might be able to get for $200 but will also require a contract. I kinda recommend a smartphone instead.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      For this purpose, you'll need a tablet with 3G/4G. You might be able to get for $200 but will also require a contract. I kinda recommend a smartphone instead.
      yeah i'd say a smartphone as well. the problem with tablets is that the price increases very dramatically as the screen size goes up.

and many tablets in that price range are either "wifi only" - which means they'll be useless at fairs etc. OR they'll come with mandatory advertising.

The only other setup I can think of that MIGHT work... would be a prepaid broadband device. that way if you already have a wifi device you might be able to do the same thing without investing much more.

although of course, always research everything fully before buying. and remember that even with a cell or tablet - or even broadband - you may find areas where you just can't get a signal & have to revert to cash only transactions.

Comment

oh two of the festivals I'll be going to, one is downtown, and one is on a college campus.

The flea market is at the top of a ridge in these mountains, and pretty decent cell reception while there.
        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

o good

it just came to mind cos we have some *very rural* areas around here where only landline & satellite phones work.

good luck with the business

Comment

The people at the farmers markets are using the Square to accept payment. My hubby has one too - makes splitting the bill at lunch very easy.

Comment

don't need a card reader. just need a machine to use it on.

Comment

You're going to want to go with a smartphone. For your needs the nearest priced tablet available is going to be well past the $200 mark.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                X