X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How prepared are you?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...pped-are-you1/

Pretty much what the title says... How prepared are you? If faced with a large catastrophe how long would you last?

Of course this isn't just about being ready in case the zombies attack, but ... say Hurricane Sandy hits and it's chaos - like what NYC faced for a bit. Or the snow is worse than you expected and it may be a week or two before you get dug out?

Pretty interesting really.

It covers the following topics:
    water, food, shelter, security, x factor (survival skills)

came out at 1-2 months here. although that's not counting the dog. but her food is dry/canned mostly anyway

the maximum seems to be 24 months (if a score of 20 in each ranking)
    Last edited by PepperElf; 02-16-2013, 06:33 PM.

Many of the suggestions there are a bit extreme - more suited to a catastrophe caused by enemy action (or zombies) than a natural disaster. If that happened, I'd probably gather some stuff and head for the air-raid shelter, and let the professionals sort out the mess.

My personal score was 2-4 weeks. I could probably improve that a lot (for natural disasters) by actually getting hold of a camping stove and a water purifier (which would allow me to use a nearby river), and keeping a larger stock of non-perishable food. I can probably count on being able to fill bottles with tap water even shortly after an emergency strikes, since the mains water supply is backed up by reservoir towers city-wide, which are able to maintain a normal supply for several hours after pump failure.

My other scores are reasonable because I have small solar chargers (capable of powering a mobile phone, charging batteries for my shortwave receiver, or my Raspberry Pi and a miniature TV), a VHF radio, and I can count my bicycle (with a freight trailer) as transportation. I count the air-raid shelter as a bunker, but in a natural disaster I'd usually prefer to stay upstairs.

Finns in general are likely to be in a good survival position. A small, nearly off-grid cottage in the country is frequently available to them by tradition, most of the male population has been through military basic training, and firearms ownership is high. The population density across the country as a whole is low, so hunting for survival is probably viable for many. The climate is cold, but buildings are appropriately well-insulated and thus probably make good shelters - even without power.

Comment

and don't forget stock up on toilet paper.

if zombies attack then... you can always barter with it. cos people are gonna wanna wipe their butts.

Comment

Working...
      X