This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice try

I was working the service counter on my own tonight for a couple of hours and it seemed like everyone had to get crabby with me. But this one is the one that sticks out most.

An elderly man and younger kid (I'm guessing his grandson?) came to the counter and I heard them talking while eyeing the cigarettes. I finished up with my customer, then went over to them and this happened.

Me: What can I get for you?
    YK: Pack of *insert whatever cigarettes here*
    Me: ID?
    YK: Left it at home.
    Me: Sorry, no cigarettes then. (Note, the kid looked about 16-17 to me. Definitely IDing matierial.)
    EM: But he's 20!
    Me: Doesn't matter. No ID, no smokes.

That should have been the end of it. Right? I wouldn't be here if it was...

EM: *grabs cash from grandson* You can sell 'em to me.
    Me: Sorry, no I can't. He asked for them, I know they're for him, I can't sell to you without seeing his ID.
    EM: The hell you can't! I'm old enough to buy cigarettes!
    Me: You are, but knowing they're for him, I'm refusing the sale. Sorry.
    EM: *begins to cuss me left, right, and sideways*

About halfway through his rant, another customer came up, so I excused myself to help her. As I'm helping her, he's still cussing, but he wanders off. The young kid kicked in on me too but I ignored them. But here's the kicker. They tried to complain to a manager about me! That didn't quite go in their favor and instead I was informed that I did my job perfectly.

In the end, the old guy hung around for about 45 minutes, continuously checking to see if someone else was working the service counter.

Seriously, if you're old enough to buy cigarettes, you're old enough to know you need your damned ID. I'm not losing my job for some random jerk.

I had a customer one time try to buy a rated M game. I asked for ID since he looked under 17. Didn't have it. So I denied the sale and he's saying he's actually 21. Okay? You don't look it and I would still need to see ID. No ID, no game. He continued, so I just went to the next person and ignored him

Comment

Next time this happens be sure to inform your replacement about said person. IF he hangs around that long.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I did tell her about him when she came in for her shift. But he was already gone by then, he gave up about half an hour before she was due to start.

Comment

I hate that kind of person; we get them in the petrol station sometimes.

SC: "Wh-what? I'm eighteen/twenty-one/insert age here!"

So what? You look under twenty five and we're on "Think 25" here, sugarcube. So if you don't have ID then... no smokes for you!
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

My favorites were the ones who pulled right up by the window at the gas station, one of them walks in, no ID, walks out, ten seconds later, the other person in the car comes in asking for the same smokes.

No.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth TechieGirl87 View Post
              I had a customer one time try to buy a rated M game. I asked for ID since he looked under 17. Didn't have it. So I denied the sale and he's saying he's actually 21. Okay? You don't look it and I would still need to see ID. No ID, no game. He continued, so I just went to the next person and ignored him
              One time I went to buy a game (GTA 3 to be exact) and I got ID'ed, which I didnt have on me, so i went home, decided that i couldn't be bothered walking up there again and put on my motorbike stuff and rode back up there, with my ID this time.

Of course, the same person served me and this time didn't ask for my ID.
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                the same person served me and this time didn't ask for my ID.
                Hah that happened to me once for beer. I'd put my ID in an evening bag and forgotten to transfer back it to my regular purse. Came back, got in the same guy's line and he never asked for it. Coulda let me buy it the first time, then.
                Last edited by Dave1982; 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM. Reason: There was no need to quote the entire post; we just read it

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                  Of course, the same person served me and this time didn't ask for my ID.
                  Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                  Coulda let me buy it the first time, then.
                  I'll bet the cashier thought: "This person did not go shat bit crazy. It's been about long enough for them to retrieve their ID. They can pass GO."

Behaving decently pays off.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    Behaving decently pays off.
                    I worked a convenience store briefly, and there was one guy who I id'd. He didn't have it and, though not happy, left quietly. My coworker told me he knew the guy and he was past 30. Next time that guy came in... "ID please." I'm not risking a $300-500 ticket on my coworker's say-so.
                    Last edited by Dave1982; 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM. Reason: There was no need to quote the entire post; we just read it
                    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                      Hah that happened to me once for beer. I'd put my ID in an evening bag and forgotten to transfer back it to my regular purse. Came back, got in the same guy's line and he never asked for it. Coulda let me buy it the first time, then.
                      I have to admit, it did annoy me somewhat, not the whole having to show id thing, because i understand that, but in my head i was going "Damnit, I went all that way back to pick up my ID and now you're not asking me for it"
                      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                        I'm not risking a $300-500 ticket on my coworker's say-so.
                        This is exactly why I will always ID. If you get caught serving an underage customer with smokes here, you get a fine and could risk losing your job. The stakes are too high for me to risk that. It's normally the people who hit eighteen a few months ago who get the most stroppy; the people who are well over tend to be used to the idea and the ones who are older than twenty five are delerious with happiness.

Btw, "Think 25" doesn't mean you have to be twenty five in order to buy smokes, just that we ID anyone who looks younger than twenty five. This is why we have a nice big poster up to point to in case of an eighteen year old customer bleating, "But I'm EIGHTEEN!" XD
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          It's normally the people who hit eighteen a few months ago who get the most stroppy; the people who are well over tend to be used to the idea and the ones who are older than twenty five are delerious with happiness.
                          The very first time I ever got id'd was on my 18th birthday. In high school I was always the one who bought the cigs for my friends because I was growing a full beard when I was 16. (Back then, looking older = awesome. Nowadays, looking older = gah, really?)
                          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                          X