This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam ho!

So I just got an email from what claims to be USPS about a parcel that apparently could not be delivered. If it were not for the fact that the last package I sent through UPS was to a completely different state and used 3 day shipping, I might have been a little thrown.

It's also not often that you receive an email that speaks in tongues.

Code:
    Notification

Our company’s courier couldn’t make the delivery of parcel.

REASON: Postal code contains an error.
    LOCATION OF YOUR PARCEL: KnoxvilleFort
    DELIVERY STATUS: sort order
    SERVICE: One-day Shipping
    NUMBER OF YOUR PARCEL: 44NC1EVGAH
    FEATURES: No

Label is enclosed to the letter.
    Print a label and show it at your post office.

An additional information:

If the parcel isn’t received within 30 working days our company will have the right to claim compensation from you for it’s keeping in the amount of $8.26 for each day of keeping of it.

You can find the information about the procedure and conditions of parcels keeping in the nearest office.

Thank you for using our services.
    USPS Global.

Drive slowly when turningThe rope has caught on aA i ma'i, hele aku e ikeIloko o kekahi lumi-moemoistenOwai kona inoa?Wahi ka i-a i ka la-iKanu i na pulapula koShingle the house
    But have no will to workpeopleThey are afraid to workKakia i kela mau kuileavesTake this awayPlant the sugarcane topsmea kanu hou i lawe iaStrain out the fibresHoe the earth smoothna mahina eo
    noKua i ke kumu alaniFill up that holeCome, go with meRepair this boatgrow ?Do not break the plate
    Oh, the attachment also had an EXE file inside it, according to the scan report I received.
    Last edited by Kagato; 02-19-2013, 05:27 PM.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

That's.....definitely a scam (I've seen these types before, where they attach a virus, make you think you'll be in trouble if you don't act soon)...Myself, I am quite smart enough to not open these things

Comment

Note the last "paragraph" - a collection of sentence fragments which individually make sense but collectively are complete garbage? That's a dead giveaway of spam - the scammer is trying to feed the filters something to confuse them and let their spew get through.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I stopped a suspicious call at my Mom's house last night. We were watching TV after being out of town for my Grandma's memorial service, when a call came in. Caller ID had a 425 area code, but the name was listed as "not in service". It was a call from India claiming to be from Microsoft, stating that Mom's computer had notified them of an error, and she was calling to address the issue. Mom just handed me the phone. When the caller asked if I owned the computer in question, I answered (honestly) "no". The line went dead in a flash after that.
        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Note the last "paragraph" - a collection of sentence fragments which individually make sense but collectively are complete garbage? That's a dead giveaway of spam *snip*
          And here was me thinking it was some kind of deep and profound Zen thing ...

Comment

Fill up that hole
            not only that but it's naughty spam too!

and bleh. i've been lucky that I haven't been hit with that windows spam one.
            but ... heh it'd be hard to fool me cos the windows computers here haven't even been ON in over a year. Not even sure when they were last online. :devil;

Comment

I like this part - If the parcel isn’t received within 30 working days our company will have the right to claim compensation from you for it’s keeping in the amount of $8.26 for each day of keeping of it.

The postal service is know charging storage fees eh?
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

i just copypasted the walloftext to my text editor to read it more easily and... wait, the "gibberish" stuff is really in Hawaiian. I didn't really notice it at first but hmm... makes me wonder if that's where this spam letter originated from.

Comment

But, but but, Kagato: "fibresHoe the earth smoothna mahina!"

Seriously!

(Are you going to notify the PO or just drop it?)

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                    And here was me thinking it was some kind of deep and profound Zen thing ...
                    Nah, it was just an ice cream koan.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Nah, it was just an ice cream koan.
                      [If we didn't have a character limit for replies, you'd get nothing but the]

groan.

Comment

Working...
                      X