X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Things Every Bartender Absolutely Hates About You

On the Huffington Post.

Found this on the sidebar while looking at a different article and thought I'd share. Nearly ALL the commenters leave me shaking my head and wondering if they've ever worked a day of retail/tipped work before. I'm just making sure I'm not the only one siding with the bartender here...

Absofuckinglutely! Especially 8, 5, and 3. All of them are dead on, but these three spoke to me. And I've lived all of these (other than 10, not being a girl, though I've certainly witnessed it), and can tell you that this woman speaks The Truth.

EDITED TO ADD: The comments are so scathing, but most of what she writes is the absolute truth. Idiots.
    Last edited by Jester; 02-22-2013, 04:52 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Oh, thank goodness I'm not alone. Yeah, like 90% of the commenters just...really? "You're a shitty bartender and full of yourself," in a nutshell. I don't think anything she said was unreasonable enough to deserve that kind of attitude.

And the one comment about "you're a woman working around a bunch of drunk men, you basically need to learn to accept sexual harrassment." Um, nope. You need to not be so drunk in public and out of control of your own actions that you apparently simply can't keep your hands off the bartender, or else find a bar with a staff that you won't feel the need to molest. I think that's the one that got to me the most.

Comment

Can someone explain #1? That one confuses me.

Comment

I sometimes ask the bartender to surprise me. One guy got me a glass of water. He got a HUGE tip at the end of that round for making me laugh so hard I snorted unattractively...

So I hope he didn't hate me for that...
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

hmm how about the reverse of #8? Buying the bartender a drink?

Comment

Quoth Caffienated_Caramel View Post
              Can someone explain #1? That one confuses me.
              Tipping isn't an automatic thing in European countries. She's stereotyping there, but basically shes insinuating British folks don't know how to tip properly in the USA.

Comment

i have to admit i've kind of been guilty of #3 but hopefully not in a sucky way. "That's expensive. Oh well, i'm here to spend money, not to save any." *pays up and leaves 25% tip*
                Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  hmm how about the reverse of #8? Buying the bartender a drink?
                  A good idea, but not always appropriate. Not all bartenders are allowed to drink on the job, and sometimes, even if we are, we are just too damned BUSY to do so. A lot depends upon the policy of the bar.

The offer, though, is always good. (Unless, of course, it's tied to some lecherous guy trying to use it to get into the bartender's pants.)

While we used to be able to drink while working at The Bar, policies have changed, so now if someone offers to buy us a drink, the best we can do is put it on their tabl and enjoy the drink after we are done with our shift. Which actually seems to have cut down on people buying us drinks; it seems they want to have a drink WITH the bartender more often than they actually want to buy the bartender a drink to enjoy later.

That being said, thank you to the customer at my bar that bought me a drink last night; that shot of Tuaca was just what I needed after my longest shift of the week!

Quoth taurinejunkie View Post
                  i have to admit i've kind of been guilty of #3 but hopefully not in a sucky way. "That's expensive. Oh well, i'm here to spend money, not to save any." *pays up and leaves 25% tip*
                  But that is not at all #3. That is realizing that things are expensive, but sucking it up and paying anyway. #3 is, "But they're not that expensive where WE'RE from." Completely different thing.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                    Tipping isn't an automatic thing in European countries. She's stereotyping there, but basically shes insinuating British folks don't know how to tip properly in the USA.
                    This pretty much.

Servers in the U.K. and other European countries are paid more than the meager wages their American counterparts get and are NOT expected to have a large amount of their income subsidized by tips.

You can somewhat fault the Europeans for not understanding the American system, but you can also fault America for having such a crappy system to begin with.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
                    X