Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're probably thinking of the T600 Tatraplan. Apparently neither the Tatra nor Skoda workers were happy with the arrangement, and only one year of production was done this way, before Skoda reverted to it's own models. The T603, which I mentioned, was made a bit later.

Yes, there's a well-known glass company in Lancashire, by the name of Pilkington. They've more recently made a name for themselves with infrared-reflective double-glazing units (keeping radiated heat in). I wouldn't be surprised if they also made a lot of vehicle windows.

Of course, local isn't always better. Lucas electrics were considered spectacularly awful, and British Leyland cars were only slightly better than the Communist models of the same period. I also heard that at one point, car parts made in Japan were more reliable than the same parts made in America, because they were able to achieve better tolerances, to the point where American customers would specifically ask for the Japanese parts.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      I also heard that at one point, car parts made in Japan were more reliable than the same parts made in America, because they were able to achieve better tolerances, to the point where American customers would specifically ask for the Japanese parts.
      Not quite true. There was a period during the 80's when American manufaturers thought it was a good idea to build parts that would fail in a certain timeframe to drive up sales of new goods. Several foreign makers broke into the market by selling the same basic goods that were not built to fail. American manufacturers stopped that when sales crapped out, but it took years for their reputations to recover.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Lucas, Prince of Darkness... why yes, I know, I own both a Landrover* and a Triumph motorcycle.

Ironically they seem to have picked up their game in the past few years.

Yup, the Landie has Pilkington windows too.

Living down the bum-end of Australia, I try to buy local (as in local to where I live, not just Aus-made). Food it's easy - we produce heaps of great fruit and vegetables, cheese, milk, eggs, meat and smallgoods down here. But we really fall down when it comes to manufactured goods. Obviously I'm not quite so good when it comes to motor vehicles, but hey, I likes what I likes when it comes to me wheels! :-)

I had a friend visit from interstate, she wanted to take a Tassie Devil toy home for the grandkids. We couldn't find one that wasn't made in China, and this is at the local 'famous' market that has prided itself for years on the amount of locally produced content. The stall-holders were fairly upfront in stating that locally made toys etc are just way too expensive for most people. Customers will happily fork over a few bucks for a Chinese made toy, but balk at paying $10-20 more for a locally made one, so they don't even bother to stock them. It's sad really, because for something like that, some of us would pay the extra.

Comment

Froglet -- Perhaps, consider asking them if they can special order the local ones if you (and maybe some friends) all get together and pay for them in advance?
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
            Lucas, Prince of Darkness... why yes, I know, I own both a Landrover* and a Triumph motorcycle.
            The Lucas stuff isn't too bad. It's a million times better than the cheaply-made crap that vendors try to foist on us. Usually, a quick clean of the contacts (or pushing the bullet connectors back together) has Lucas switches behaving themselves. I don't bother with reproduction stuff unless I have to--the MG's dashboard is filled with original switches that I took apart and repaired. Only one, the headlight switch, was replaced. That one was missing
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
              My first car was a Mitsubishi. The parts were imported from Germany and South Korea. It was assembled in Tennessee. My second car is a Chrysler. The parts are from America. It was assembled in Canada.

NEWS FLASH PEOPLE: 100% All-American goods aren't very common. Even American isn't all American.
              Exactly! My old "made in america" ford was most definently not manufactured in the usa.
              If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                And for what it's worth.... this

..is a very popular place.
                Has some products that are quite simply unmatched. Weber's mustard...yum!
                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Yup, Protege, agreed. At least with the older Lucas stuff, you could fix it. No silly blimmin sealed units that fail at the least sign of stress.

I bought both my British beasties new, and have had very little trouble with either (that wasn't a user error, anyway, lol!! Short old ladies and big bikes are not necessarily a mix made in heaven.)

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
                    NEWS FLASH PEOPLE: 100% All-American goods aren't very common. Even American isn't all American.
                    In one source of low-brow jokes, I read one about how the only all-American commodities nowadays are beer, tattoos, hookers, and pro wrestling, with the punchline being about the obvious way to "wave the flag".
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X