This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SxSW suck

So there's South by Southwest (this massive music conference/festival) going on in Austin this week.... I'm sure it's great for the people who fly in to see the shows, but for the people who work here year-round it's really pretty awful.

Yesterday I had to deal with:

Drivers speeding around blind corners through the (normally reserved) parking garage

Pedestrians wandering out into the middle of the street without looking

Pedestrians stopping to play with their phones in the middle of the crosswalk while I'm waiting to turn left

Going in circles because no one would let me into the lane I needed, or out of a turn-only lane that I didn't want

Waiting at a green light without being able to move because cross-traffic is blocking the whole intersection

The worst part is, I've never been able to go out and enjoy the events, not even the free shows, because I have to work (and the commute home is an hour on the best days!) So I bet it's great for all the visitors, but I'm just feeling really cranky about the whole thing.

I've lived a couple of places with occasional 'big draw' crowds, and I totally sympathize with you Ashaela. I try to think of the times when I've been the out-of-towner, but even that empathy can only stretch your patience so far. So vent here and chin up - it'll be over soon.

Comment

When I lived in Indianapolis, I parked for work in one of the lots that people would tailgate in for Colts games. I'd just want to leave and go home, but inevitably I'd have to ask people to move their folding chairs or almost run over people playing catch or something. It was insane.

There were weekends you just didn't go downtown because of games or festivals or something.
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
        When I lived in Indianapolis, I parked for work in one of the lots that people would tailgate in for Colts games.
        Why would Buffalo football fans be tailgating in Indianapolis? BTW, I'm sure you had 500 reasons to stay home on Memorial Day.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Ashaela View Post
          Drivers speeding around blind corners through the (normally reserved) parking garage

Pedestrians stopping to play with their phones in the middle of the crosswalk while I'm waiting to turn left
          Welcome to Damn Tourista Season in Santa Fe. I swear, those people have no sense of self-preservation! It's like they don't think it's a working city and the state capital. I'm just glad the legislature isn't in session in the summer....

And then there's the people trying drive and watch the balloons during Balloon Fiesta.

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
          When I lived in Indianapolis, I parked for work in one of the lots that people would tailgate in for Colts games.
          Quoth wolfie View Post
          Why would Buffalo football fans be tailgating in Indianapolis?
          Huh? The Colts have been in Indianapolis since 1984 and before that, they were in Baltimore. Bills have never been anywhere but Buffalo.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            And then there's the people trying drive and watch the balloons during Balloon Fiesta.
            Ack! We had one of those regattas when I lived in Missouri. People were unbelievably stupid about that. Probably the only time I've had to hand slap cars.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              Welcome to Damn Tourista Season in Santa Fe.

Huh? The Colts have been in Indianapolis since 1984 and before that, they were in Baltimore. Bills have never been anywhere but Buffalo.
              If it's Damn Tourista Season, what's the bag limit?

I knew it was a city that started with "B". Fans were PISSED when the team jumped the fence, and even more so when the NFL filed suit to keep the CFL (expansion) team from calling itself the Colts.

Can't recall if it was Airwolf or Blue Thunder, but someone had a Brooklyn Dodgers cap. Someone else asked him if he knew when the team moved out, and his answer was "They never left".
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                I knew it was a city that started with "B". Fans were PISSED when the team jumped the fence, and even more so when the NFL filed suit to keep the CFL (expansion) team from calling itself the Colts.
                Yea, there were a lot of hard feelings over that move. Including the legislature trying to take the team via eminent domain when they found out the owner was looking around at other cities, leading to the Colts moving out in a hasty midnight exodus. I was in the area at the time and never understood the emotion attached.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  If it's Damn Tourista Season, what's the bag limit?
                  There ain't one! As long as they've already spent all their money, anyway....

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    There ain't one! As long as they've already spent all their money, anyway....
                    Sounds fun, but my mother insists "If you kill it, you eat it!" and I don't want to get beaten with her 'ostomy bag!
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ashaela View Post
                      So there's South by Southwest (this massive music conference/festival) going on in Austin this week.... I'm sure it's great for the people who fly in to see the shows, but for the people who work here year-round it's really pretty awful.

Yesterday I had to deal with:

Going in circles because no one would let me into the lane I needed, or out of a turn-only lane that I didn't want

Waiting at a green light without being able to move because cross-traffic is blocking the whole intersection

The worst part is, I've never been able to go out and enjoy the events, not even the free shows, because I have to work (and the commute home is an hour on the best days!) So I bet it's great for all the visitors, but I'm just feeling really cranky about the whole thing.
                      Oh do I ever feel your pain - I actually WORKED FOR SXSW - I was a cashier....
                      the parking rates double to triple (and more - i heard of one garage charging $40 to park, i think they are usually $7....) so I had my bf drive me downtown and then pick me up at the end of my shift.... it is amazing the difference 5 mins can make on dealing with traffic...

The final night to go appx 3.5 - 4 blocks (just before the light at Neches to the access road, on 5th) took an HOUR

We had pedestrians crossing against the light, b/c the cars weren't going anywhere - because they couldn't thanks to all the pedestrians who think the road belongs to them.... boyfriend closed the gap between us and the vehicle in front of us and some twit says (with my window open) "thanks for pulling up"(the word "asshole" was implied by her tone) to which i responded "No problem, you're welcome" - i don't think she was expecting that....
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I hear ya...I lived in New Orleans most of my life ^_^

I consider myself fortunate that I didn't have to deal with BOTH the StupidBowl and Mardi Gras happening simultaneously last month >_> (the former took place during the second-to-last week of the latter, and the last 2 weekends are the busiest parade times)
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                          The final night to go appx 3.5 - 4 blocks (just before the light at Neches to the access road, on 5th) took an HOUR

We had pedestrians crossing against the light, b/c the cars weren't going anywhere - because they couldn't thanks to all the pedestrians who think the road belongs to them....
                          This, YES EXACTLY!

I usually take 1st or 7th from downtown all the way until it merges with 183.... Guess how easy that was last week? Friday I actually ended up going west out to Mopac and all the way south to 71. That huge loop probably saved my sanity and my bumpers.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            Ack! We had one of those regattas when I lived in Missouri. People were unbelievably stupid about that. Probably the only time I've had to hand slap cars.
                            Try it with up to 750 balloons for 9 days....

I love the balloons. I crew for a local pilot and crewed for a pilot out of OH last year (and got my first balloon ride!). I love the money the money the Balloon Fiesta brings into the city and the state. However, the behavior, and attitudes, of a lot of the people that come (Including the pilot I was with. Nice people, but they kinda had the "we're in a foreign country" vibe going.)

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                              ...they kinda had the "we're in a foreign country" vibe going.)
                              It is part of Mexico, ididn't it?
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X