This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kitties!

I mentioned in another thread that we were trying to adopt two new kitties. We got the call last Thursday letting us know we were approved, and picked them up on Saturday.

When we were there before, there were two ladies working. When we went back, there was only one. The other one had been called to another location, leaving the other one there by herself. She was a bit frazzled, but she remained pleasant, except for a brief moment where a customer had gone in to look at the cats, and then let one slip out when he left because he wasn't watching. She had to grab the cat out from under a shelf, and got scratched up for her troubles.

We must have been there for an hour or so filling out paperwork. One of the new kitties is a year-and-a-half old male gray tiger striped kitty named Stewart. The lady told us she found him, along with a brother and sister, and she named them "Rod", "Stewart", and "Maggie Mae." We'll probably just call him "Stewie", being the Family Guy fans we are. He seemed pretty easy-going at the store. When we got there, he was relaxing on a pile of blankets.

The other is a female black and gray kitty named Frisky, about six years old. She used to have a home, but her owner wasn't able to keep for for whatever reason. She was a bit skittish at first, but she warmed up to us pretty quickly. After we finally finished the paperwork, the kitties were put into carriers, so we could take them home. They weren't very happy in the car, but very few kitties are.

I thought that Stewie would settle in easily, and Frisky would hide for awhile. I was wrong. They both hid at first, but Frisky came out and started to explore, while Stewie hid under the steps coming down into the basement. It wasn't long before she'd venture close enough for me to pet her. She'd let me do it for a little bit, but she'd snarl at me if I did it too long. I guess it didn't take her long to start to remember living in a house.

Thor, our overgrown kitten, didn't care for the new kitties. Funny, because he didn't seem to mind my son's cat. Maybe he's mad because we brought new cats in instead of bringing his buddy back. There was a lot of growling, snarling, and hissing. And not just at the other cats. He was also mad at me for bringing the new cats in. He kept nipping at me when I'd try to pet him. But apparently at the end of the night, all was forgiven, because he had climbed up in my lap and started giving me kisses again.

Lion, our older, little tan cat, didn't seem to care either way. He's never really shown any sort of reaction to us bringing other cats in. His attitude was pretty much, "Hmm, another cat. Whatever."

The next day, Frisky was coming up to me and letting me pet her, but she'd run away if I'd try to approach her. By the end up the night, she was climbing up in my lap. Stewie had come out from under the step in the night, and had found another hiding place. I looked all over for him, and was starting to get worried, even though I had done this before, and they had always come around. My wife spotted him coming out of my son's room, and determined he had been hiding in the closet, even though I had checked there myself several times. I closed the door so he couldn't go back in there, and he ran under the bed. I was able to squeeze myself under there just enough to reach out and pet him, and he started to calm down. After awhile, he came out from under the bed for a little bit, but then went back.

By the end of the night, Stewie had started expanding his comfort zone and exploring the rest of the house. He even came downstairs. I thought it was Thor at first, because they almost look alike, but Stewie has white paws and Thor doesn't. Before too long, both he and Frisky were walking up to me and letting me pet them. Today, I can sometimes approach Frisky without her running off, but Stewie is still a little skittish. I'm sure by the end of the week, they'll be right at home.

Here are pictures of the new kitties.
    Attached Files
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Excuse me while I promptly pass out from the adorableness. And Frisky looks like she'll be trouble, hahaha.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Aww, kitties! I know they'll have a great home with you, Mike!

(The way Stewie is behaving reminds me so much of how my Purdey was when I first brought her home.. though she would come out for her food, the litter tray etc, and was more than happy to be petted, she liked to get under the china cabinet or between the computer desk and the wall.. then she decided she would spend most of her time in my room....
      Withing a few months of course she was ruling the roost, draping herself anywhere she felt like sleeping and demanding cuddles and pets from anyone and everyone. I miss her so much...)
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I'm so glad to hear your good news, Mike!

Maybe our cats can Skype if Little Girl ever settles down. That girl purrs like a machine gun.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Frisky looks like she's giving her best Gene Simmons impression!

Stewie should come around. I've had cats hide for two weeks before they got comfortable enough to come out.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

awwwwwww what cuties!!!!! I wish we could have cats.

i will now melt into a girlie puddle.
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

on your new furry friends, Mike! And they are cute. Frisky looks like she's got a bit of catitude!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Awww! They're adorable!

And you are definitely in trouble with Frisky.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

They're Total Cuteness. Congrats on the new family members!
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yay kitties!! I'm glad they have a new home. I'm sure they'll be all over you before long.
                    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Purrr bonk bonk love chase *hide* Mike, congrats on the furbabies. Give them a scritch from me.
                      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Awww, kitties! I want a new cat or cats so badly! Hopefully Stewie (I love the name...too bad you didn't get Maggie Mae and call her Meg lol) and Frisky will settle in just fine.
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                          Awww, kitties! I want a new cat or cats so badly! Hopefully Stewie (I love the name...too bad you didn't get Maggie Mae and call her Meg lol) and Frisky will settle in just fine.
                          Well, I have to say that it's hard to tell that it hasn't even been a week yet. They're settling in really nicely. I haven't heard any growling or hissing in awhile, and I found Stewie and Thor cuddled together on the love seat. Frisky has become quite the lap cat, and neither of them are hiding any more, although sometimes Stewie still likes his quiet time under the recliner. I can actually approach them now without them running away.

I adopted cats from Helen Krause in the past, and they always had someone do a follow-up call in a couple weeks to see how they're adjusting. I'm sure this organization does the same thing, and they'll probably be surprised when I tell them how quickly they settled in, especially Frisky. She's a real sweetheart.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Oh, Tiger hated Little One when we first brought her home, but within a few days he was washing her.

He still gets a little ticked if he comes into my room at night (he usually strolls in once he's realized everyone is in bed in the house, between 10-11, but on my work nights I'm in bed before 9) and he sees she's cuddled up to me already, but he's always been more of a "sleep at your feet" kind of cat. She's more of a sleep on your face cat.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                            X