Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got a question for you guys about college...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mathnerd View Post
    Okay, knowing that you're currently in pre-calculus actually provides a lot of additional information.
    Here's a list of the math courses I'm required to take (in no particular order):

Calc I (Calculus with analytic Geometry)
    Calc II
    Discrete Math
    Linear Algebra
    Probability & Statistics (one class)
    Calc III

These are just for the CompSci degree. That's like 21 credits or so (since some are 4-credit classes).
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

That's basically the same course load I have to take sans Cal 3 (thank God). Things to watch out for: many universities have a killer math course designed to weed out students who don't truly love the math. Unfortunately, these tend to be early courses (to catch them early before they're locked in) that are often shared with less math intensive majors. Typically it'll be either Cal 1 or Cal 2. If your advisers tell you to take the math courses somewhere else and transfer the credit over, DO IT! Biggest mistake I ever made was taking Cal 2 at my university instead of the community college; if the advisers tell you not to take a course at their own university it is for a VERY good reason.

Otherwise, the courses aren't too hard. Discrete Math and Linear Algebra are fairly easy, they're basically set theory and matrix operations that form the backbone of modern databases and software engineering. Probability and Statistics is probably one of the hardest courses I've ever taken (I got an A, but it was an engineering course so the teacher was less... psychotic), but it's very regular. You just need to study a lot.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        Here's a list of the math courses I'm required to take (in no particular order):

Calc I (Calculus with analytic Geometry)
        Calc II
        Discrete Math
        Linear Algebra
        Probability & Statistics (one class)
        Calc III

These are just for the CompSci degree. That's like 21 credits or so (since some are 4-credit classes).
        It looks like the only thing you would have to add for a major are the abstract courses. That's not terribly un-doable. Several of the abstract courses can be taken before the computational courses. You don't need probability and statistics to understand Analysis or Abstract algebra. I took the statistics track, so I couldn't take the one term P&S course. I also strongly advise you, if your university will allow it, to take linear algebra before calc 3. The nice thing about math is that if you decide to take a minor, you can easily change your mind a few terms in.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          It looks like the only thing you would have to add for a major are the abstract courses. That's not terribly un-doable. Several of the abstract courses can be taken before the computational courses. You don't need probability and statistics to understand Analysis or Abstract algebra. I took the statistics track, so I couldn't take the one term P&S course. I also strongly advise you, if your university will allow it, to take linear algebra before calc 3. The nice thing about math is that if you decide to take a minor, you can easily change your mind a few terms in.
          Well, I do believe that linear algebra does come before Calc 3 in my degree plan. Actually, I just checked, and Linear algebra is a "sophomore" level class, whereas Calc 3 is a "junior" level class.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
          X