Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I Get For Going In On My Day Off...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only time I've had to babysit my phone on my days off was when I drew the on-call pager for work on a given week. Fortunately, I'm no longer on the list for on-call, so I don't have to worry about it.

And for some reason, work still tries calling the home line instead of my cell, despite my listing my cell phone as my primary contact number.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I just cheat where my phone is concerned...as far as the people I work for know, I am the most devoted partner in a relationship ever. Every single time I have a day off, I'm talking up the "plans" that I have with my fiancee and/or friends. That way, when/if they call, I simply don't answer...then call back 4-5 hours later to say "sorry, my phone was out of reception, we just came back from the mountains. What's up?" That way, it's almost certainly too late

I'll occasionally come in on a shift for some extra bucks here and there, but my days off are my days off. I use them to decompress and get rid of all of my stress so that I can be cheerful and happy when I go back to work next. On top of that...I have my own shit that I want to do! I may not have kids, but my personal life is nice and important to me, so I want to enjoy it dammit! Hence why I ignore my phone a lot But I do always return the calls later...MUCH later...

/rant off
      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
      "What IS fun to fight through?"
      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I used to work in a Tech Support job. The job was 24/7/365 UNLESS you had specificilly asked for the day off or were on a multi-day vacation spread. Basically you were ball-and=chained to your work cell phone all the times.

Now that is not to say that if they got desperate a call would not be made. After my Ex left I decided to take one night and get good and drunk. I did let my employer/boss know the situation. Well they got slammed that night/morning and I got a call at 5 am. Yes I was still a bit drunk (not quite at the hangover stage but still). I am not exactly proud that I did a support call impaired but I did get the client back up and running. NOt sure how I did it but I did.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
          I just cheat where my phone is concerned...as far as the people I work for know, I am the most devoted partner in a relationship ever. Every single time I have a day off, I'm talking up the "plans" that I have with my fiancee and/or friends. That way, when/if they call, I simply don't answer...then call back 4-5 hours later to say "sorry, my phone was out of reception, we just came back from the mountains. What's up?" That way, it's almost certainly too late

I'll occasionally come in on a shift for some extra bucks here and there, but my days off are my days off. I use them to decompress and get rid of all of my stress so that I can be cheerful and happy when I go back to work next. On top of that...I have my own shit that I want to do! I may not have kids, but my personal life is nice and important to me, so I want to enjoy it dammit! Hence why I ignore my phone a lot But I do always return the calls later...MUCH later...

/rant off
          I do kind of the same thing with my second job. I generally work 2 nights and sat, givng me one day, Sunday, a week, off. While I don't mind switching nights wiht someone, its very rare I need the extra $$ enough to want to work a third night or Sunday. I just can't do it. So I have gotten really good at saying "sorry, I can't" or "sorry, I have plans" without having to explain anything, and they are good about accepting my responses. and if someone calls and leaves me a mesasge about working, 9 times out of 10 its to my cell which I don't check that often, but I will always call them back.

Comment

These days I refuse to take any job that requires me to be "on call" on my day off. If they want me to field calls to deal with work matters on my day off, they can damn well pay me for the time rather than cut corners and ask someone who is not even being paid when there is people at work doing next to nothing.

That being said, I'm usually fairly flexible about my availability as long as they are reasonable and give me a bit of notice. Trying to schedule me to work during the same time as a lecture is a BIG no-no however.
            Violets are blue,
            Roses are red,
            I bequeath to thee...
            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I usually leave my phone on vibrate so I don't notice it ringing if it isn't in my pocket, which it isn't when I'm at home.

If you only have a cell maybe tell your boss you are switching plans and will be limited on your minutes per month, but can receive texts from them. Maybe you will get fewer calls if its inconvenient. Or you could be like a co worker of mine who claimed he no longer owned a phone so he couldn't be reached by it.

Comment

At my job I'm not required to answer my personal phone on my days off. I'm still usually one of the first people called in, whenever there are hours to be filled. They know that I'll usually answer my phone and agree to come in.

Just this week I was called on two separate days to see if I could work. The first time they called me at midnight and I was already in bed asleep and so was my husband so I didn't hear it going off. They also didn't give me any notice and would've wanted me to come in immediately since the guy who was scheduled to work wanted to go home. So yeah I don't feel bad about not getting that phone call, because I hate not getting any notice and being expected to show up immediately.

The second time was actually on my birthday but I didn't really have any plans and I'd already had a low key celebration. Plus they called me 7 hours before the shift was scheduled to start so I agreed to come in. Fortunately it was a laid back night and nothing really happened.

Comment

Oh, I completely take the stance as Uncle Khiras and others. It's just that, at the time, I had to be "on call" or I'd be in serious trouble if I didn't get to my phone.

Believe ya'll me, nowadays, I will not take an "on call" type of job unless there's some good money or Magic Mike dancers involved.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                  X