This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now we know who to blame

For the most hated phrase in the world among those who work with the public:
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

I notice the article says the phrase was never to be taken literally ... shame that so many bosses these days don't seem to realize that.

I also wonder if customers back then tended to be as rude and tantrum-y as they are today.

Comment

The biggest mistake the business world ever made was to let those words be uttered where any customer could hear them. Ever. It's led to a feeling of entitlement all over the place, something made worse by the fact that the saying is just so damn wrong in the first place.

As Mallrats once clarified: "The customer is always an asshole!"
      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
      "What IS fun to fight through?"
      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I've always interpreted the phrase to mean that the customer should always be given what he asks for, within the limitations of the business's abilities - and charged accordingly. It implies that customers know their own desires and needs better than random retail employees do.

As we know, however, this doesn't eliminate *all* complaints - but it should eliminate nearly all instances where a good customer has to be compensated to retain his future business. Bad customers should not be compensated unless a legal obligation to do so arises.

Comment

This essay linked from XCashier's sig put it best.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
          X