This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am an email jerk. And do not apologize for it

On one of my "throwaway" accounts I received an email - supposedly from a student trying to do a "survey" at his college.

It was clear how he found my email address - he pretty much just put in a bunch of possible names at gmail and pretty much is just hoping it'll get a response.

It got a response alright. I forwarded his email to his college to the Dean's office, administrative assistant.

If it's someone spoofing the .edu's email address then perhaps they can look into it.
    but more importantly if that's really a student there then they may likely have some... 'splaining to do with the Dean. Colleges don't take too lightly to having their services used for spam.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM.

I'm still waiting for the jerk part....

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
      I'm still waiting for the jerk part....
      There is the possibility that the student is required to do a survey for one of their classes (if it is genuine).
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

fh - I think that Tes meant that PE was describing herself as the jerk in the title.

You did fine, PE ^_^ If it's actual spoofing, well, screw them. If it's legit, the student needs a little talking-to...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

yep. if i don't get anything back from the dean i'll consider forwarding it to the admin. haven't decided yet

Comment

Doooooo eeeeeeeeeet!

Comment

When someone's clearly spamming like that, I'm not surprised that he's Jamaican you mad enough to wonder if you're being a Jerk.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Required to do a survey or not, if you didn't opt in for it, it's spam. I don't think you're a jerk for reporting him. If you don't get a response, you could always go report him and the lack of response to your spam complaint to a blacklisting service.
                The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  On one of my "throwaway" accounts I received an email - supposedly from a student trying to do a "survey" at his college.

It was clear how he found my email address - he pretty much just put in a bunch of possible names at gmail and pretty much is just hoping it'll get a response.

It got a response alright. I forwarded his email to his college to the Dean's office, administrative assistant.

If it's someone spoofing the .edu's email address then perhaps they can look into it.
                  but more importantly if that's really a student there then they may likely have some... 'splaining to do with the Dean. Colleges don't take too lightly to having their services used for spam.
                  You know, I occasionally use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email. I got so tired of getting chain letters/spam/hoaxes from one particular individual that I actually set up an auto-responder template for that particular person.

It apparently worked. I've had the template set up for a couple of years, and haven't had any further emails from this person. Probably because I had it set up to send out the email template then delete the email.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                  X