This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Road Rage

Since I discovered the Roadkill forum I have been making my way through the older stories and one about an off duty police officers road rage reminded me of an incident that happened shortly after I got my license and first car.

It was a nice summer Saturday and I was going to the McDonald's in my hometown to grab some lunch. I was driving on a back road as close to the 30 MPH speed limit as my nervous new driver self could get. I was about 10ft from a side street on my right when a guy came out of the side street taking a right onto my road without even slowing down for the stop sign much less stopping or, you know, looking to see if anyone was already on the road.

I think that was the very first time I ever locked up my brakes. With rubber screaming I came to a stop a few feet from the back of this guys car. I saw his head whip around to look at me as soon as my tires started to squeal and I remember thinking, "GOOD! I hope that made you shit your pants so maybe next time you won't consider a stop sign to be just some sort of pretty decoration!"

We both take rights onto the four lane main street and about a mile up the road I take a left into the McD's parking lot and pull into a parking spot. Unknown to me the guy whose car I came close to hitting had gotten behind me while we were on main street. He followed me into the parking lot, pulled into the spot next to me and started screaming at me about how I almost hit his car. I said something like, "Yes. I did manage not to hit your car. You're welcome." but that seemed to make him even angrier.

He pulls out his wallet and flashes a badge stating that he is an off duty My Town police officer and that he can have an on duty officer here in five minutes to issue me a ticket for reckless driving.

Me: So...you really want me to explain to an officer about how I had to lock up my brakes to avoid hitting a car that drove through a stop sign without stopping?
    Him: I DIDN'T DRIVE THROUGH A STOP SIGN YOU WERE SPEEDING!
    Me: It's just you and me here and we both know you drove through the stop sign so there's no reason to lie about it. Not yet anyway.
    Him: You were still speeding and that's why you almost hit my car!
    Me: I was going at the posted speed limit. I almost hit your car because you drove through a stop sign right in front of me.

It was a long time ago and that's probably not verbatim but pretty close. He kept arguing for a few minutes then got back in his car telling me that he made a note of what I was driving and would be looking for me when he was on duty. I never encountered him again and I don't know for sure if he was even a police officer (I sure hope not!).
    You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

It totally amazes me how someone with any badge around here gets an attitude. Just recently, in the next county over, an 'officer of the court' was involved in apparently what ended up being road rage. He pulled into a parking lot with another driver, proceeded to leave his vehicle and approach the other vehicle with his weapon drawn. Ended up firing, I think, a total of 3 times, hitting the victim with each shot. Because it was a "crime scene", help was not allowed to the victim until the state police arrived. The victim died a few days later. The shooter was not arrested, detained, nothing! A grand jury was put together and he has not been indicted, either. Good 'ol boy system at work around here.

The saddest part is that this victim was a military veteran, worked with the children's group in the local theater and just celebrated the birth of his 3rd child. The shooter isn't even an actual officer, he's merrily a court baliff, but the media really played it up to be an 'officer involved shooting'.....sad, sad, sad.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
      Because it was a "crime scene", help was not allowed to the victim until the state police arrived. The victim died a few days later.
      Who made the decision to not allow help until the state police arrived? Would be poetic justice if some of the victim's relatives and friends were EMS, the shooter in this incident got seriously injured in a mugging gone wrong, and EMS wouldn't go near him until the state police arrived because this was also a "crime scene".

A lot of people have the idea that a bailiff has a lot of clout. In a courtroom, he does, because he's exercising the authority DELEGATED TO HIM by the judge. In a parking lot at a fast food place, he's just another short-tempered bozo with NO authority.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Who didn't allow help to the victim? If the shooter was still on scene and armed, then EMS would probably hold back to avoid getting shot.

If not, the fact it's a crime scene does not deter EMS from tending to a live victim.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Per the eye witness accounts viewed on the local news station, witnesses started to cross the street to assist. It was at that time that the bailiff 'flashed his badge' and told them he had it under control.

It was later discovered/uncovered/reported that it was an officer of the court, NOT an actual police officer.

As for who made the call to hold off med assistance, I can't say for sure-I'd have to go back and look up the entire story again. We have uncovered recently that not only are a lot of the cops in that area crooked, but we've uncovered that our chief of police (in my town) lied on his resume, it was uncovered, and he still got the chief of police job. We're starting to find that there may be some crookedness on our sheriff's dept as well. That trial is getting ready to start soon.......

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
            It totally amazes me how someone with any badge around here gets an attitude. Just recently, in the next county over, an 'officer of the court' was involved in apparently what ended up being road rage. He pulled into a parking lot with another driver, proceeded to leave his vehicle and approach the other vehicle with his weapon drawn. Ended up firing, I think, a total of 3 times, hitting the victim with each shot. Because it was a "crime scene", help was not allowed to the victim until the state police arrived. The victim died a few days later. The shooter was not arrested, detained, nothing! A grand jury was put together and he has not been indicted, either. Good 'ol boy system at work around here.

The saddest part is that this victim was a military veteran, worked with the children's group in the local theater and just celebrated the birth of his 3rd child. The shooter isn't even an actual officer, he's merrily a court baliff, but the media really played it up to be an 'officer involved shooting'.....sad, sad, sad.
            Wow. Can you give a link to the story?

Comment

Quoth shopgirl15 View Post
              Wow. Can you give a link to the story?
              The most recent that I found:

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/B...200295101.html

I'm sure you can find more if you google the names of the 2 involved.

Comment

Reminds me of a certain "crime report regular" who ends up in the local paper every few weeks, has a rap sheet as long as my arm (for, iirc, everything from traffic violations to drug charges and robbery), but has seldom had a case go to court, and never been convicted. Said person just happens to be related to a local politician with some clout. Back in NOLA this would have been par for the course ~_~ Here, I would not have expected it to be so blatant...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Police can be sucky drivers too. I remember once someone was tailgating me even though I was going 80 mph on the highway, I thought, I'm not going any faster and pulled over. Turns out it was a the police! I didn't know whether to laugh or be annoyed. No sirens, or lights. Maybe he was off duty like that one...
                  Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

The town where we used to live in northern Illinois had a posted 20 mph speed limit around town. And the police were notorious for pulling people over for even 1 mile over the speed limit. If it got close to the end of the month and the officer had not made his quota for that month they would get right up behind you to try to get you to speed up. Didn't work for me cause I usually slowed down.
                    "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Non-officer using the sirens & lights

Had a sighting about this last night. Only it wasn't really the officer from what I gather. I didn't get a good look at the vehicle since I was in the back, but the driver (JA) and the woman riding shotgun (KK) did. And one of the other passengers got a snapshot of the plate.

The other car used sirens against JA cos he was trying to change lanes in front of her. He slowed down, anticipating being pulled over and she sped off and got in front of him.

When they got a good look at the plate & driver they realized it was apparently ... not a police car. They said it was a "government car" which... from what I read CAN be outfitted with lights, but only with legal permission. The problem is, the person driving it didn't look like an officer they said. Looked like a spouse driving her husband's car.

KK thought of calling it in, but decided not to. Although I agree, that if it'd been called in ... it could have been very interesting for the driver, especially if she wasn't authorized to drive it, let alone having it found out that she was running the sirens & lights to intimidate other drivers.
                      Last edited by PepperElf; 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                        Me: So...you really want me to explain to an officer about how I had to lock up my brakes to avoid hitting a car that drove through a stop sign without stopping?
                        Him: I DIDN'T DRIVE THROUGH A STOP SIGN YOU WERE SPEEDING!
                        Me: It's just you and me here and we both know you drove through the stop sign so there's no reason to lie about it. Not yet anyway.
                        Him: You were still speeding and that's why you almost hit my car!
                        Me: I was going at the posted speed limit. I almost hit your car because you drove through a stop sign right in front of me.
                        So, he realizes that even if you were driving 100mph, if he ran the sign and you guys crashed, it'd still be his fault for not making sure it's safe to pull out, right?
                        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

A blast from my past:

Living in an apartment complex, I went out to my 15th floor balcony to enjoy a refreshing adult beverage and a smokey treat.

The fire alarm went off in another building and the first responders came quick.

First was an ambulance and they came up to a stop light that was red for them. They had the sirens and lights going and they stopped and proceeded when clear.

Second was a fire truck. They did the same as the ambulance.

Third was the police - but they didn't stop at the red. This one did a couple of siren chirps and didn't even slow down going through that same intersection.

I wonder why that local police does not have much respect.

B

B
                          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                            So, he realizes that even if you were driving 100mph, if he ran the sign and you guys crashed, it'd still be his fault for not making sure it's safe to pull out, right?
                            I dunno. At 100mph, chances are the car that's pulling out wouldn't realize the speeding car was even coming along until it's too late. Although ignoring the stop sign would still be a bad idea of course.

Comment

Hey guys, we're getting well into Fratching territory. Please feel free to start a discussion over there. Thanks.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X