Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How a LONG wait turned into GREAT customer service...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How a LONG wait turned into GREAT customer service...

This is how it's done.

My family and I went to a chain restaurant that serves cajun food.

Well, there was a short wait when we got there (the place was slammed!). They seated us, and it took a bit for the waiter to get to us (but again, they were slammed), and take our drink/food orders.

Well, it seemed to take an awfully long time for our waiter to just bring us our drinks. When he finally brought the drinks to us, he was very apologetic, and explained that he'd spilled them previously (along with a different table's drinks).

Then...the wait for the food. At one point, he stops by and has this look on his face like he just knows we're gonna yell at him. He tells us that our food should be out shortly, but he doesn't know what's taking so long.

Then, probably 10 or 15 minutes goes by, and he comes back and tells us that our food was sent back for some unknown reason.

Then, the manager stops by our table, and he is apologetic as well, and tells us that due to our wait, we will be comp'd our dessert. We were satisfied with that, as we were planning on dessert.

So the waiter stops back by, and is hugely apologetic, telling us that it should be "just a few more minutes".

So the food comes, and everything is great. We finish up, and because the waiter was patient and apologetic (neither me nor my wife raised our voices. We both said we understood, and I even told the waiter I had previous experience in food service, so I understood that things happen).

Anyway, at the end of the meal, we get the check and discover that not only was our dessert comp'd, we also got our son's meal (around $5) and our drinks (tea, and two lemonades) on the house as well. So we basically got comp'd between $12 and $15 or so.

I told my wife that if this had been the first time we'd ever been to that restaurant, the fact that the waiter and manager did that would definitely mean that we'd go back.

So, when it came time for me to tip, I tipped on the full price (or what I rough-guessed it might be). So instead of tipping on the $33+ that the bill was, I tipped based on the guesstimated $45-ish. And because the waiter was as apologetic and hard working as he was, I left him something in the neighborhood of a 22% tip. I left him $15 as a tip.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

As a follow-up to this, I ended up writing a very glowing email to this particular restaurant chain. I thoroughly praised the manager and the waiter, though I expressed regret that I didn't get their names. The President of this particular restaurant chain must have read it, because he responded to me.

I described the experience as "very positive", and told him that the waiter and manager there were to be "commended for their professionalism". I also expressed my belief that the waiter and manager went above and beyond.

I also wrote: "The quality of customer service that this manager and waiter exhibited needs to be noted, as we felt it was exemplary. I just wish I had gotten their names, as I feel they both went above and beyond, and both deserve high praise and recognition for their efforts."

$15 probably isn't much to a restaurant. But what this waiter and manager did was invaluable.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Glad what is often a very negative experience turned out well. And bonus points to you for the follow-up letter!

Comment

Working...
      X