This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop is messing with us

So we were driving home late last night, around 11:30pm. There was a guy travelling in the left lane who wasn't passing us who had bright headlights and was annoying Hubs.

A police SUV comes up the on-ramp and merges ahead of us. Hubs decides to simply follow it. Bright Headlight Guy quickly decides to pull back into the right lane.

Me: "Just don't tailgate it."

*a few minutes later*

Me: "Seriously, don't tailgate the cop."
    Hubs: "I'm trying not to, but he keeps slowing down!"

*I check his speedometer. We're down to 50mph on a 60*

Me: "You know that cop is messing with everyone, right? No one has the balls to pass him and he knows it. He's f**king with us."
    Hubs: "I believe you are correct."

After the cop departed the interstate, two cars a ways behind us pulled left and sped off into the night. Bright Headlight Guy then promptly pulled back into the passing lane and continued travelling there matching our pace.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I have to ask why not just pass the cop if it was legal to do so?
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Because Hubby's a wuss? I would've passed him, but I wasn't the driver.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I've passed police cars on occasion, and roughly half the time they'll follow me for a while to see how I'll react. They eventually give it up, though I'm sure if I had a tail light out I'd get pulled over. It's increased scrutiny, which frankly I don't blame your husband avoiding.

Comment

I've gotta admit, the idea of passing a cop makes me nervous, even though I'm driving the speed limit.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            It's increased scrutiny, which frankly I don't blame your husband avoiding.
            I don't blame him either. There are some cops who will do that.

I try not to pass cops even if I'm doing the speed limit. I have a loud exhaust on one of my vehicles--even 25mph sounds like I'm going well over the limit. I don't want to give my borough's finest the excuse to follow me or bust me. Remember, I live in an area that even 5mph over the limit will get you into trouble

I'm not trying to bash cops at all. Some are just jerks!
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've never seen cops driving at the speed limit. Usually they seem to go faster, just because they can.
              "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

We have a main road here that cops love doing 30-35 on even though it is a 45 zone. I just pass them and laugh because they end up with a huge line behind them.

Comment

Our finest LOVE pulling that shit. It drives everyone nuts, and nobody's got the balls to pass them. I finally get fed up with it (if you're going 90 in a 110 km/h zone, screw you) and pass them. The dashcams record all of the speeds of the cop's vehicles, so if they pulled you over, what would it have been for? They were the ones who were recorded as going under the limit.

Comment

I dunno. I can't really comment (the $1500 in tickets I have says so lol)

But when the cops play the slow down to make you tailgate or the tailgate you to speed you up game I hit cruise now. Or speed to 180 since they can't persue lol (yes I also heard its 160km but it's 180km lol

Edit: I should add that in my city the police department is all but useless. Several allegations of rape. Pre mature shooting of suspects. Brutal traffic stops, drug dealing, drug purchasing and abuse (several of these I have personally witnessed). It's frightening. Last month a member of our drug squad (Whom I know personally) went crazy over his cheating wife and released a list of confidential informants lol. So late night traffic stops are frightening at times.
                    Last edited by Pimento; 04-23-2013, 02:31 AM.

Comment

I hate when the state troopers do that in my state. They'll slow down to the speed limit and play the "I dare you to pass me" game. If I pass a cop that's just sitting on the side of the road and I'm doing five over, they are just going to ignore me. But I never know how they will react when they are playing this dumb game.
                      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I actually had one cop beside me, a little bit ahead, like by a bumper (road was 50 mph, which was what I was going). They kept it there to see if I would be an idiot and drive passed them. It was quite obvious they were a cop cause it had the decals on the car. They decided to speed up and leave me alone.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
                          I actually had one cop beside me, a little bit ahead, like by a bumper (road was 50 mph, which was what I was going). They kept it there to see if I would be an idiot and drive passed them. It was quite obvious they were a cop cause it had the decals on the car. They decided to speed up and leave me alone.
                          My BF likes to make a game out of picking out the undercover cop cars here. Sometimes it's obvious - specific spots on the car where they've been outfitted with radios, or where there's holes in the frame from previous radio connections, etc. But sometimes even we're surprised... like the time we saw a black Chevrolet 300 with low-profile police lights in the grill. If it wasn't for the fact that the lights were actually ON, we wouldn't have known it for a cop car.

though for speeding... I did see a guy on another message board get out of a ticket by answering "do you know how fast you were going?" with complete honestly (and perhaps a bit of smartass)... He said he didn't know and that he'd just been following her! ...

(frankly I'm surprised he didn't get a ticket just for the smartass answer!)
                          Last edited by PepperElf; 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X