This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth catcul View Post
    Whatever you do, try to avoid having a car with a black interior in the deep south of the US.
    ...or anywhere else, for that matter. First car I had, was a '91 Toyota Tercel 2-door. No A/C, and lots of dark gray and black vinyl. That thing was an oven during the summer. It wasn't too bad on the move, but once stopped, it got quite warm! I soon got a set of cloth seat covers, and cloth cover for the steering wheel as well. Didn't stop me from scorching my hand on the gearshift knob! The knob had an aluminum insert with raised numbers. I put my hand on it...and the numbers promptly burned themselves into my palm Hurt like hell!

Back on topic, around here, the lighter-colored cars (beige, light gray, white, silver, etc.) never seem to have their lights on when it's raining. Some of those cars are almost invisible--they blend into the road surface, and are hard to see.

Grandma's Olds was like that. Her car was a mix of beige and gold. She liked the color because it didn't show the dirt. But, when it was overcast out, it was sometimes hard to see the end of the hood. Even so, if I was driving it, I always had the lights on. I wasn't about to get my ass kicked if I cracked up her car!
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
      It's too bad that people in the 75 car pileup on I-77 in Virginia didn't take heed to being careful driving in the fog.

I am really careful on I-64 between Charlottesville and Staunton, VA. The fog is so bad there, they literally light up the lane markers. If that wasn't dangerous enough, I-64 is also prone to falling rocks. Heavy fog and falling rocks? Good luck!
      Just be glad it's not I-64 in Virginia Beach. Between say... 5-7am. Although the speed limit is 55mph, the flow of traffic is 65+. I don't miss that one bit. and yes this is even in crappy weather.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        Just be glad it's not I-64 in Virginia Beach. Between say... 5-7am. Although the speed limit is 55mph, the flow of traffic is 65+. I don't miss that one bit. and yes this is even in crappy weather.
        I've been there, too. I know what you're talking about. Compared to Atlanta, however, Virginia Beach traffic is nothing. On I-285, you could go 75 in a 55 mph zone and have dozens of people pass you like you were standing still.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          We have so many white cars here, which is stupid because it snows.
          Wheareas in Phoenix, a white car is a very good idea because the white paint reflects heat away and keeps the car cooler. Yet most of the cars there are black. Go figure.
          Quoth catcul View Post
          Whatever you do, try to avoid having a car with a black interior in the deep south of the US. One time, I grabbed a black steering wheel in the summer, and I received first-degree burns on my hands.
          Yep, that's why I always made sure to have some sort of steering wheel cover when I lived in Phoenix. Fake sheepskin, padded fabric, anything that was better than bare plastic. And don't even get me started on bare vinyl seats...!
          Last edited by XCashier; 05-04-2013, 07:34 PM.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
            Whatever you do, try to avoid having a car with a black interior in the deep south of the US. One time, I grabbed a black steering wheel in the summer, and I received first-degree burns on my hands. Thankfully, it was more discomfort for the rest of the day than pain.
            Maybe I should have done this instead.

This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

The car I have right now is a black with black. I need to remember to park so the sun doesn't shine on my seat. I would have chosen a different color when I got it, but it's not very common of a car and the miles were very low.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                And don't even get me started on bare vinyl seats...!
                Yep, bare vinyl sucks. Even more so...if it's *black* vinyl. With that said, I'm sure you all can guess what my project car's interior is composed of. Even with a cloth seat cover in place, it still gets rather warm. It's not so bad on the move, but sitting in traffic really sucks! Not only does the seat get warm...but so does the floor. There's no insulation on the firewall and floor yet, plus the exhaust heat shield is missing, so my feet tend to fry
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  Yep, bare vinyl sucks. Even more so...if it's *black* vinyl. With that said, I'm sure you all can guess what my project car's interior is composed of. Even with a cloth seat cover in place, it still gets rather warm.
                  Ooh, yuck! Cloth won't quite cut it unless it's insulated (maybe try some cotton quilt batting under the seat cover?)

I got a Sheepskin (fake, of course) seat cover for my first car. It helped a lot, keeping it warm in the winter and insulated from the (Phoenix) heat in the summer. Better than burning your legs on hot vinyl!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                  X