Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sucky Cashier (AKA Be Grateful You Have a Job)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Cashier (AKA Be Grateful You Have a Job)

Okay, I debated on whether or not I should post this but it really irked me. Bit of background: My fiance is now a truck driver and I have been going with him for the past two months or so. I prefer to stop for the night at the major truck stops for the restaurants but sometimes you have no choice but to stop at the mom and pops.

So we stop at a mom and pop in NC last night and I go in for cigarettes. I ask how much a carton of 100s is and end up getting two packs instead. Get outside and realize she gave me shorts instead. I like shorts but he doesn't so I go ask his opinion and he tells me to keep the shorts and go get a carton of 100s. I decide to make life a little easier for the cashier and keep the shorts, returning inside and getting a carton. She isn't really sucky during either transaction, more... disinterested and distracted by a guy sitting behind the counter. Not sure if he worked there or not, but whatever. As long as you don't completely ignore me during the transaction I don't care if you talk to someone else.

A bit later I go inside for dinner. They have a menu and stove but the lights are off and nobody's home. Oohkay. It's only 8 but whatever. I check out what they have in the store and as I'm browsing, I hear this gem between her and someone who entered the store (guessing an employee as they were discussing whether or not something was in the freezer).

It's also worth noting that SC's remarks were shouted across the store as he was in a different area.

RG: Random Guy
    SC: Sucky Cashier

RG: Hey, how are you?
    SC: I hate customers! I'd be better if they'd quit coming in!
    RG: *muffled reply*
    SC: No I mean it! Sunday is supposed to be for rest, not gallivanting around town! I haven't gotten to rest at all today! UGH!

I was just... shocked and slightly offended. I decided to go tell my fiance what they had and let him pick. Horrible selection too. He had a can of pork and beans while I had Pop Tarts, lol. But seriously? Instead of complaining about customers (there were 3 in the store, including myself) why not be grateful they are providing you with a job?

(And no, I didn't confront her or complain. I've been there... but I never let customers hear me complain!)

SC: No I mean it! Sunday is supposed to be for rest, not gallivanting around town! I haven't gotten to rest at all today! UGH!
    with an attitude like that she might not have to worry about working on sundays much longer.

They have a menu and stove but the lights are off and nobody's home
    that might get her in trouble too, if they're suppose to be open.

Comment

If she wanted to rest, she shouldn't be at work. That's why they call it work. I'll bet she doesn't have to worry about that much longer.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I complain, but in a joking manner to my regulars that I love to death. And when there is not many people around. But wow, to be like that cashier. Wow.

Comment

Quoth mandersdawn View Post
          Tell that to the people who visit the swamp every Sunday.

Every Sunday, without fail, quite a few people will be streaming in the doors when we open at 9. From 10:30 to noon or so is quite busy with the after-church crowd coming through.

That said, we don't need to be open Sunday until 9 at night. We could close at 5 or 6 and not lose much business. Sunday nights are sloooooooooooooooow; thankfully I rarely ever have to work them.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Meh. HORRIBLY unprofessional to say that out loud in the store where customers are around, but I joke around with my co workers (call center) almost every night in this vein:

"Ok, these people REALLY need to stop calling here!"

Then again, I say it in jest (usually) - it sounds like she really meant it.

It would have made me really uncomfortable to hear that as a customer.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Back when I was more of a piece of shit that anything else, I used make jokes about people shopping on holidays.

"Ya know what's worse than being open Easter? People shopping on Easter!"

I only made these jokes with friends, co-workers and family members who were...shopping on Easter. It never occurred to me at the time that somebody else could take offense.

Now? I just accept it. Retail is a 24/7/365 business.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'll say stuff like that to regulars but usually it's really low so people can't hear me. And if there's one or two people in the store I'll say things like, "I wish it was like this all the time!" So they know I appreciate that they're there (I don't want the store to be empty 'cause we're in the city and empty store=target.)

When the store is actually empty (you never know if there might be someone lurking in the bathroom unless you're paying attention like my hawk eyes usually are) I'll do something TOTALLY unprofessional like break down into a rude dance in the middle of the store or yell "PENIS" as loud as I can. Since I'm the only one usually paying enough attention to actually know when the store is empty it shocks the other workers pretty bad and makes me laugh.

But that's like a once-a-month deal. We're NEVER EMPTY.

That girl should thank her lucky stars she doesn't work where I work. My gas station would kick her ass with all the shit we have to do on Sundays. It's one of our busiest days.

Comment

Lol. I often moan about the petrol station being packed, but believe me, if you're working and it's empty, it's far worse as the time drags horribly. O_o And altho I might mutter to myself out the back, "Where the hell are all these people coming from?!" I don't yell it in the main store in front of customers.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

I love Sundays at my job. Not that I enjoy missing every weekend or enjoy being stuck in a factory on Sundays, but the fact that on weekends, there are no engineers or higherups around (unless they sneak in to spy on us), it's so much more laid back and less pressure.

We get so much more work done on Saturdays and Sundays when we aren't being hawkeyed watched.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Blas, sounds like graveyard shift where I work... it is amazing how much we get done without management staring down the back of our necks... we can actually help our guests rather than following scripts. Granted, we don't have that many corporate scripts, but the chain of command is a bit tedious... a guest has a problem with their room during the day, and it could take nearly 20 minutes to get it fixed because of all the different levels of management it has to go through... graveyard, I'm sorry that (insert problem here) is happening with your room, I'll be happy to move you to another room and upgrade you to (next level up... assuming we have it) at no charge for the inconvenience, we'll have someone up there with your new keys and to help with your luggage within 5 minutes. Wham bam thank you ma'am, guest is happy and we didn't waste 20 minutes to do it.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                      X