This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dammit! Don't text and drive!

My friend's mom was just in a car accident. She's fine, although I don't know about the car.

The kid that hit her was texting while driving. He flipped multiple times. I haven't heard his condition, but I don't expect it's good.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that if you're driving, DON'T PLAY ON YOUR DAMN PHONE???
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Indeed. I remember hearing a news report on the radio about a motorcyclist who lost a leg because he was hit by a car... and the driver was texting. He sued both the driver & the driver's girlfriend for the injuries; the suit against the driver was upheld, but the one against the girlfriend was not. (she wasn't responsible for whether or not her partner read/replied to her messages while driving)

But beyond that... it's not as if there's no hands-free options or anything like that.
    my BF has a speaker for his car that... well frankly it sounds a bit crappy for phone calls, but it has a neat option where it announces text messages to him and asks if he wants to hear the message or not. Then it lets him reply too. All without even looking at the phone.

and on some phones (iphone for example) IIRC, it's a built-in function.

Comment

Glad your friend's mom is okay. Hope the kid had insurance. I'm sure he's learned his lesson. He chose the hard way apparently.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Well, apparently the kid was conscious and apologetic when they pulled him from the wreck, but I haven't heard anything else. I certainly hope he's learned his lesson.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          ...she wasn't responsible for whether or not her partner read/replied to her messages while driving...
          The trivial item that he catches hell if he doesn't respond to her texts with 3 seconds was not discovered, I'll bet.

And Private Roger Willy doesn't get a full-undress standup inspection either...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

They had on the news last night that those hands free texting options aren't any safer mostly because your attention is focused where it should be - on the road.
            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Wow. I don't understand what is so unclear about the many warnings that people are given. Not only is it dangerous, it's extremely annoying for the other drivers. I can't begin to count how many times I've been held up by some idiot texting. I've even missed an entire light because somebody wanted to finish his message before going. Any honks from the horn warrant being flipped off apparently....
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                They had on the news last night that those hands free texting options aren't any safer ...
                While I certainly agree that any distraction while driving is bad, at least with hands-free your number one driving sense, sight, can still be on task. Sure, no one is on the ball if they are arguing or joking around with someone on the phone, but as someone who's done a 120 mile ride with an angry GF, or as anyone who's ridden with a toddler can tell you, not every distraction is external anyway...

Comment

Was going around on a round-a-bout (rotary) and signaled that I was exiting, basically telling the people in the yield part of the rotary - trying to get on - that if they tried to get on now I would slam into them, so don't go.

Girl goes anyway, I nearly t-bone her, and I see she has one hand on the wheel the other hand holding her phone quickly glancing between it and the road.

*sigh*
                  My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                  It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                    They had on the news last night that those hands free texting options aren't any safer mostly because your attention is focused where it should be - on the road.
                    That's the caveat perhaps. Even with hands-free devices people need to learn when to say, "I'll contact you once I get out of this traffic."

I learned that the hard way back in... somewhere between 2002 and 2004. I was slowing down for a traffic light and looking at my radio. I'm just thankful I was down to just a few miles per hour when I hit the car ahead of me. No damage at least. (whew!)

These days... I only look at my radio when it's clear to. And I tend to prefer using the up "seek" button on it vs the individual station buttons. (Much easier to just push one button vs looking down at all the other button options). Or I just use the ipod. ... either set it up ahead of time, or mash down the home button until it goes into voice mode & I can speak my choices.

Interestingly... maybe it's just how my head is, but I actually concentrate better when I'm singing while driving. It could be how my head's wired etc, or that the act of singing means that I'm preventing myself from zoning out. Or both. *shrug*

Comment

PE - Could be worse, interstate driving could be a great insomnia cure, as it is for me ~_~ I usually have the stereo blasting something nice and loud with heavy guitars and drums -- if I don't, I have to pull over every hour or so to check my eyelids for light leaks (cookies for the reference), rest for ten minutes, then drive for another hour. This happens to me even after a good night's sleep, which is part of why I avoid long trips when I can).
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X