This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs you need a new job

....When you keep being told you just barely missed the selection for a promotion, not once, not twice, but for seven different positions...

...When you do your job so efficiently but have so little on some nights* that your manager's only response is "Well, just go home" even if you've only worked 2 hours.

*I do price changing at my work, so my technical work load is variable. After that my manager has told me to do security tagging...which only takes a hour or two...and then help the overnight warehouse guys, but they're running light right now as is. After that, she's got nothing. And won't train me on tasks that day crew does.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

-They tell you...
    1) You are fired when they find out you are pregnant and
    2) You cannot take maternity leave and
    3) They schedule you for a shift during said maternity leave then give you a NCNS written warning

I loved the job, just not the idiots in charge. The work load was variable depending on the number of planes coming/going, medivacs flying, Troopers Helo-1 doing SAR (RIP Mel). There were some nights I didn't do a single thing other than my nightly chores and others I'd be driving all over the airport to planes and the city to hotels to get crews.

Comment

The biggest wake up call for me when I was a pub manager was when I debated dropping a keg on my foot just so that I could get a few weeks off on disability. I'm serious, I almost did it. It was around a month before I stepped down.

Comment

When you're 8 months pregnant and the district manager "takes you off the schedule" which is this places code for you're fired.

Comment

^ I know that code very well.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yeah. Not fun

Comment

When I was at the IP Relay center, I knew it was time to leave when not only had I accepted that I had no name while I was working, that I was to pretend that my personality did not exist, that I was just another cog in the machine, but I started training people to believe that about themselves too. I realized one day what I was saying to a new hire, and that was the day I stopped being too discriminate in what jobs I applied to (I was looking for a new job anyway, I finished my degree, and I know it sounds entitled, but damnit, after 4 years work on that degree I think I have earned something better than a call center slave position) and that lack of care resulted in 5 months of unemployment (which, for the record, I think companies should do their employees a favor and kill them instead of firing them, death is better than unemployment) when I fell for a scam job and didn't realize it until it was too late to rescind my two weeks notice. I still haven't found a real job (and yes, I know, there is entire pages in fratching about that phrase, but I think it applies here, definition of a job is pay for productive work, and I would not consider what I do productive).
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
                When you're 8 months pregnant and the district manager "takes you off the schedule" which is this places code for you're fired.
                I'm really hoping that doesn't happen with me.

Another sign I may need a new job: when co-workers are starting to think I'm already gone because I work nights.
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Kheldarson....me too. I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

Comment

When you realize the job you're being paid to do could be 85% handled by a halfway decent computer program.

And since the company has an IT department that takes 90 minute lunches, comes in at 10, leaves at 4, and makes 150% what you do, the lack of it just smacks of executive incompetence.
                    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                    X