This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to pass

So, this happened a couple days before my wreck, and I was going to post it, but I've been a bit preoccupied this past week.

Anyways last week we went to Stupendously Colorful Flower Festival of Awesomeness, where you drive around and look at fields of flowers and visit art shows and BBQs and stuff. The flower fields are scattered about the whole rural farmland area where they are grown. Many of these county roads are 50mph, but with all the people oo-ing and aah-ing at the colorfullness, you're lucky if you get up to 35mph. But hey, it's just one month a year. You deal and move on.

And there are LOTS of people. It's popular enough that there are "Tulip Route" road signs that are a permanent fixture along these highways. On a weekday the roads aren't at a standstill (except right outside either of the major growers' parking lots), but they're busy enough. So passing probably is not a good idea. (I have avoided the festival on weekends; I have little doubt many of the roads then are packed down to a slow, congested crawl.)

Imagine my shock when, as we're cruising down the highway the car ahead of us slams on its brakes because there is a van heading straight toward us. The van was able to swerve and squeeze back into its proper lane at the last minute.

This genius had decided to:
    (1) Pass when there was oncoming traffic (which is all the time during April on these roads)
    (2) Pass multiple vehicles (looked like about 3)
    (3) Come within just a few feet of causing a head-on collision
    (4) Not stop to offer to pay for new pants for the driver ahead of us after performing maneuvers 1-3.

All because he couldn't deal with traffic and couldn't just sit back and smell the flowers...

(If I had witnessed this after my accident, I'd probably be a sobbing lump pulled off to the side of the road. Normal idiots cutting me off now cause a higher-than-normal adrenaline rush, at least for the time being. Ugh.)
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 04-25-2013, 12:37 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

If you are talking about the Netherlands then yes I have been there too! Gorgeousness as far as they eye can see!
    ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Not Netherlands, though many of the growers are from there (with accents to prove it). Actually it's about 30 min south of where I live.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
      X