Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just because you got it in the mail today...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because you got it in the mail today...

...doesn't mean you can use it today.

BG: My store sends out coupons, like the weekly fliers they get delivered a few days before their first-use date. The most recent batch has an earliest-use date of 4/26 (2 coupons for each week through the end of May, always starting on Fridays)

I was on register yesterday, and it was pretty quiet in the store for a weekday morning.

An older Asian couple (ethnicity is somewhat pertinent) comes through my lane with 5 items, all produce. The wife whips out three of the coupon mailers; she must have scored them all from her apartment building. The coupons are not tied to a particular card number, so in theory someone could grab a dozen mailers from surrounding apartments and stack as many coupons per transaction per week as the computer would allow.

$2 off meat purchase: nope. You didn't buy any meat, and it's not good for another week.
    Free BBQ sauce: fail. Try in 2 weeks.
    Free juice boxes: again, not in the order, and it doesn't start until Friday.
    $5 off $30: absolutely NOT. Your order only comes to $15, and even if you did meet the minimum you still have 2 days until it will work.
    Me: "No. Not yet. These start on Friday. You can't use them today."
    SCW turns to her husband and starts in rapid-fire Mandarin, then unleashes her fury on me I have no idea what she's trying to say, other than she wants to use the coupons.

She starts arguing with me in a combination of English and Mandarin; this is where L comes in. I know she speaks Mandarin, and try to get her to call Manager C over as well as to help me explain to the SCs why they can't use the coupons.
    L: "Get manager, get manager!"
    Me: "That's what I'm asking YOU to do. Please call C over here NOW. I need YOU to help me talk to these customers."
    L: "Manager fix. Upstairs."
    Then the wife starts saying that a 'manager upstairs' said she could use the coupons today <_< Hmmm, L says 'manager upstairs', and then you suddenly say a manager upstairs said you could use them.
    SCW: "Manager say I can use today!"
    I try (and fail) to get the name of whoever said she could use them. C comes over, and reiterates that they can't use them. Lather, rinse, repeat for about 5 minutes (during which time I had to turn a few very nice customers away, as I couldn't do anything else until the order was voided).

It becomes clear that SCW saw the "Postmaster: Please deliver before 4/24" on the postcard and thought that meant she could use them before the date on the coupons.

That dropped me into 'people generally suck' mode for the rest of the day.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Oh god, thats like where I work [health insurance]

We advertise on our website certain promotions.
    Eg. It might say 'upgrade your cover from *SPECIFIC DATE* onwards to receive one months free cover!'

People will always STILL call in before that *specific date* and say they want to upgrade for the free mth. We advise them that promo starts on *specific date*, as per the website...cue all sorts of arguments

'It doesn't matter, it's on your website NOW so you have to honour it NOW"

"I didn't read it carefully, I didn't see no date, I just saw upgrade and free month so that's what Im calling for to get right now. It aint my fault I didnt read the date"

"*random non-existent person there* said I could call and get the promo early!"

Each and every one of these arguments makes me want to go play in traffic just that little bit more.... ugh

Comment

One local paper by me only does a weekend edition so it's for both Saturday and Sunday. I'd get people coming in on Saturday expecting to get the next day's sale but when I said I couldn't do it I'd get the "But it was in today's paper!" Of course most of the time the manager would just allow it.

Now my company has changed it so the sales unofficially start on Saturday. Now if the managers would just get the new ad for us to look at when people come up with sale questions.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Our sales start on Fridays; the paper delivers the circulars on Wednesday mornings -_-

If that wasn't bad enough, the overlap period on Thursday nights/Friday mornings when we're resetting the endcaps and signage is always fun (the sales roll over in the system at midnight, so we have loads of SCs on Thursday nights expecting to get the Friday prices). Whoever's responsible for shelf tags has been 'forgetting' to remove the old ones...the other day I found one from March O_o
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We ran into something like this at the wholesale club. The coupon books sent out to our members had coupons with a variety of dates in them. Some were good until X date (around which time the next coupon book would be out), some were good until Y date (earlier in the time frame), some were only good for one or two weeks. And those last ones usually had "Valid from (date A) to (date B)" on them.

Yes, we got people trying to use them early ALL THE TIME. Sometimes the managers would cut them some slack (and sign off on the coupon for it), but sometimes (especially for Black Friday Weekend coupons) the managers would flatly refuse.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

It always used to irk me when I worked my former shift, all the coupons and "Super Cash" days at the mall for certain stores were only on, say, Mondays Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Now that I work during the weekend, I STILL forget to go shopping and redeem my Super Cash at Old Navy.

A fail, I am.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
            X