This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupon suckage

*BG* The lady that closes SCO 5 nights a week has been at my store 2 maybe 3 months at most. She's been with the company though for 30 years. We also just recently got a couple of new front end floor supervisors. One of them was a transfer and had worked with for the company for a couple of years *end BG*

About a month ago, there was a lady that had come through the self-checkout and had bought multiples of various toiletries (pads, tampons, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, hair products, etc). She had a bunch of coupons and handed them to the *new to our store* SCO attendant. There were something like 3 or 4 coupons for the same items (like 3 or 4 for mouthwash, and 3 or 4 for pads, etc). I don't remember what I was doing, but I wasn't on a register so I had come over to help her. Some of the coupons weren't going in, so we called over a floor supervisor. She had the SCO attendant void their transaction and then took this lady to an empty register to help her. We got to looking through the coupons and the customer didn't get any of the correct items or didn't get enough. She left with the coupons and otherwise empty handed.

Well she came in again Tuesday with the same type of items. She was with her grown kids I assumed and came through my line. I had remembered the mother from a month ago, so I knew I had to make sure they got what was needed for the coupons. Most of the items they wanted to buy were part of this promo** the store had going on. One of the new floor supervisors(the transfer) was working Tuesday and I had her back me up on the coupons and made sure I was correct. They ended up only getting a fraction of what they came to my register with because they came through the register with the incorrect items for the coupons.

The floor supervisor told me after they left that she had worked either Sunday or Monday night and they had come in again with the same type of items. There ended up being all kinds of issues. It sounded like most of the items they were wanting to buy were part of the same promo** plus they had some coupons but some of the items were incorrect. She said the daughter made a fuss about something with the way things were rung up so the she did her best to help them, but I think she said she ended up getting scammed and recognized it later.

They didn't seem to put up much of a fuss when I helped them Tuesday, but I figured it was because the floor supervisor and I both had first hand experience with them and their coupons.

**There's a promo going on right now that when you buy 5 items you get $5 off your order. You can mix and match and get 5 different items that are part of the same deal.

Sounds suspiciously like a promo for a chain (that shall remain unnamed) we have here runs. Love it ^_^

The thing is, I actually get that discount, as I plan ahead what to get, and I make sure to actually buy the items that correspond with my coupons and the current specials. I realize that this is difficult for some customers, apparently ~_~
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

third time they've come in with a pile of coupons that don't exactly match everything?

yeah that's starting to look very intentional.

Comment

One of the two sucky ethnicities here in town is known for using coupons that don't match (example: they have a coupon for Hood brand sour cream but buy store brand and expect it to work), or have specific terms (certain products, minimum number of items) and they count on the attendant not reading it fully.

It doesn't help that our SCOs are so borked that very few coupons will actually scan at all...that's bad in that some attendants just look at the pictures to match items, but good in the sense that if the attendant's on the ball, the SC won't get their way.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Why, oh WHY would you keep going back to the same store if you're going to scam?

I hate scammers, but I hate stupid scammers more.

If it's the chain I'm thinking of, there's very likely *another* store a mile or two down the road in most parts of the US.
          Last edited by Peppergirl; 04-27-2013, 01:37 AM.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

It sounds like what used to happen before we limited the number of identical coupons you can use. We would get someone buying, say, 50 packs of razors for $10 each on a credit card. For each one they'd have a coupon for $3 off. The person would return them later and get the $350 they actually paid back on the cc and get the $150 worth of coupon savings in cash, as the coupons had already been processed and could not be given back to the "customer". It's not technically illegal, but our company sees it as fraud. And yes, our system is ridiculous. I've returned something to another company and basically lost the coupon. Oh, well.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
              Why, oh WHY would you keep going back to the same store if you're going to scam?
              Because they got away with it.

Little do they know that many stores prefer to build cases against certain thieves or scammers rather than shut them down on the spot. So they keep thinking they've found the perfect crime until they find themselves talking to Officer Friendly one day.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
              X