Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've gotten to the point where we lock up the diabetic test strips (don't blame them, even the store-brand ones are rather expensive) and Frontline, and the Krogers in my area are writing their store numbers on the baby formulas and razor refill heads. I agree with not overly minding people stealing condoms, I'd rather see them stolen and used than having more babies and STDs floating around.

Comment

At least in cities and towns in Australia, there's no need at all to steal condoms. Just walk into any of the charity and quasi-charity medical clinics and grab a handful from the bowl at reception. Some non-charity doctor's offices have such a bowl as well.

They're free. Quite deliberately free.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Some non-charity doctor's offices have such a bowl as well.
        When I was in college, the pharmacy had huge bowls of free condoms, no questions asked, for just that purpose. At one point, word got out that they had received a defective shipment of inferior product, which tended to be more delicate than these things really should be.

I was working for the school paper at the time, and naturally we did a cover story about this, summoning up all of the maturity and subtlety that one would expect out of a professionally-made, collegiate newspaper.

The article's headline was, of course, "Condom Story Breaks"
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          I'm thinking name brands sell better at flea markets, etc, and therefore are more valuable money-wise to a thief.
          That seems to be the case in my neck of the woods. And one of the reasons why Corporate put the Tylenol brand products in the anti-theft boxes.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tylenol is being sold on the street as well.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

When i worked for cstore company 1, we had to be careful of the tire gauges and wire scrubber cleaners...the better to make pipes with.

Comment

Same with coffee. The smell of the coffee is *supposed* to mask the scent from drug dogs. How well this actually works, I don't know.
              I don't think it works. A dog's nose is so sensitive it can pick individual odors out of a combo. I've seen it explained this way: Say you had a pot of beef stew. You and I smell...beef stew. The dog smells beef, onions, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes...etc. In other words, each separate ingredient. And a drug-sniffing dog is trained to zero in on the drugs.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                I don't think it works. A dog's nose is so sensitive it can pick individual odors out of a combo. I've seen it explained this way: Say you had a pot of beef stew. You and I smell...beef stew. The dog smells beef, onions, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes...etc. In other words, each separate ingredient. And a drug-sniffing dog is trained to zero in on the drugs.
                Nobody said that crooks were smart!
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

not surprised. i mean my dog an go onto a lawn or field and manage to find where all the other dogs have peed.

i suspect the coffee one is just a hollywood thing.

Comment

Quoth ThirdGenRetail View Post
                    Though am I weird for thinking it'd be a REALLY good idea to put out bins of free rubbers in college towns? Of all the things that they should give out free...
                    At my BF's college, they have free condoms in all the bathrooms.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      At least in cities and towns in Australia, there's no need at all to steal condoms. Just walk into any of the charity and quasi-charity medical clinics and grab a handful from the bowl at reception. Some non-charity doctor's offices have such a bowl as well.

They're free. Quite deliberately free.
                      Doesn't stop people from stealing them though.

I was doing stock rounds one night at my former job and came across an empty box of condoms. They'd taken the condoms and left the instructions behind.

My supervisor was somewhere between and when I showed her. She said that either they'd better know how to use them or she'd be more comfortable with them at least taking the instructions too!

(these were the extra large ones too )

ETA: The university's student services area has a TON of free condoms. Ironically, the doctors office doesn't.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                      X