This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random discoveries...

So, I'm changing my "member title" randomly a minute ago, and I try to base it off a Christopher Titus joke: "Deranged. Make me your leader" when I notice that it instead came up as "Deranged. Make me your ******"

Of all the versions of profanity censoring, that's one of the weirdest I've seen

One of the best was an online RPG with an Assassin class...but every time the word appear in the game text, it would be auto censored by the game. This included dialogue from NPCs.

"Ahh, I've been looking for an ******in of your skills..."

Just thought I'd share since it made me giggle...hope it cheers someone up ;p

Edit: I considered deleting this thread, btw, and going back to that title...just to make people wonder what the hell the censored thing was.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

The profanity filters on Everquest are hilarious. For example, one of the creatures you can kill on there is a cockatrice which the game changes to a mxyskatrice in chat. I've seen grape get filtered out in chat too.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Ah EQ how ironic they could be.
      Back when I played, the main forum had language filters and we were banned from saying anything harsher than "darn" or "hell" or "WTF" ... yet the main site had a link to WTF comics.

Of course back then there was no filter in chat. Except being booted by a guide or locked out by a GM.

Oh and speaking of triggers... in my favorite MUD we have a Librarian based off of the Discworld Librarian. He use to be programmed to go ape-shit if you called him an ape. Unfortunately it also meant you couldn't say "grape" or "newspaper" around him either.

Comment

Slightly off/slightly on topic: Our computer program at work has a filter that basically asks you if you're sure you want to use a certain word in an ad. I can understand "man" or "woman" because employment ads can't be gender-specific; and words like "virgin" or "sex" will be questioned. But I really laughed my butt off the day the computer questioned the word "jugs."
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This reminds me of a joke:

One time a male office clerk was asking the female computer tech to help set up his new computer system. When she asked him what password he wanted, he decided to shock her and told her to enter "penis" as the password. Without missing a beat, she keyed it in.
          She then almost died laughing at the response: "Password rejected: not long enough."

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
          X