This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not all stores do things the same

I had already started scanning a woman's million cans of cat food when she asked if I knew how many there were, as she had a coupon for an amount off so many cans. OK, let me start with the fact that she was buying them and should know the number. And let me add that I wasn't going to count them unless they were all the same item number, and I'd already started scanning anyway. I told her I hadn't been counting, and I'd scan the coupon and see if it would work.
    So I got done and hit the total and she asked again how many there were. I had to tell her twice that our registers don't list that.* She was flabbergasted that it didn't list the totals. Maybe they do at other stores, but I know what my computer will do. Why must I be argued with??

*You know, even if they did, the cans were different flavors and had different numbers. It would only tell you how many of each item. Why do they not understand that everything has a number?? That system has been in place for decades! Some people are living in the 1950s.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 04-27-2013, 04:26 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I hate it when they have several different flavors of something like cat food but they don't seem to understand why I can't just do a quantity scan, because in their minds "It's the same thing".

It may be the same brand, but they are different items in the inventory and in every store I've every worked at, accurate inventories are a big deal every year.

Comment

The other day I was at the Green&Yellow discount grocery store to buy some of the soda they had on special. I had a bunch of regular Coke, and a bunch of 7UP (here, it's distributed by Pepsi). When I was a couple people back in the line, the cashier saw what was in my cart, and asked me to put one on the belt to be scanned. I put up one of each. Cashier said I only needed to put up one, since they all were the same price.

When the person ahead of me finished, a new cashier took over (probably a shift change). I told her "4 7UP, 2 Coke", andmentioned that the previous cashier had said she only needed one due to everything being the same price, but that would throw off their inventory. She was shocked that a customer would be concerned about that.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

At least we have our soda-buying custys trained now. I hardly ever see anyone with over-the-limit cartfuls anymore, either. (We limit quantities.)

Comment

I don't understand why some stores DON'T limit quantities. A couple months ago, the "yellow and black" discount grocery chain had 6-packs of Coke products (710 ml bottles) for $2. I was in line behind someone who had a FULL cart of them (and nothing else). I mentioned that he was probably over the limit, and the cashier said "We don't have a limit". Probably someone planning to resell.

I've seen the other side of that a couple years ago - ate at a fast food teryaki place, and ordered a Coke to go along with it. Instead of the normal 591 ml bottle (size stated on the menu board), it was 710 ml. Did I mention that the week before this incident, one grocery chain had the 6 packs for $2? Probably cheaper on a per-bottle basis than their normal supplier's price on 591 ml bottles. Of course, they were inviting SC behaviour from someone getting the "oversize" bottle, and on a subsequent visit getting the "regular" bottle - "You've shrunk your soda bottles - give me a discount!".
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            I don't understand why some stores DON'T limit quantities. A couple months ago, the "yellow and black" discount grocery chain had 6-packs of Coke products (710 ml bottles) for $2. I was in line behind someone who had a FULL cart of them (and nothing else). I mentioned that he was probably over the limit, and the cashier said "We don't have a limit". Probably someone planning to resell.
            Ugh. I fracking hate that. I see it all the time at my local grocey store. The worst was on a crazy sunday where there were four people, who all blatently were related, each with a trolley filled with the maximum number of each discounted soda, snack food and alcohol....
            How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

^It'll come back to bite them when they're collective health fails.

Comment

I see this happen a lot. We have deals going on right now (2 for $4.00, 2 for $2.50 etc). I have people grabbing sixteen one litre cokes, pepsis, 7 up, you name it. Then they get mad because I have to scan them two at a time, or else our inventory person get VERY cranky.

Comment

Working...
                X