This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Multitudes of Malice from Morons

Stand Aside, Useless Prole! Bourgeois Comin' Through!

A "lady" comes in ready to BLEVE* all over the place.

*(Google it, learnin' is fun!)

Seems we have her car for illegal parking, and she's adamant that her car was simply TOO expensive to have not lost value somehow by us towing it, probably because we damaged it either physically or metaphorically.

I tried to explain to her that we aren't in the habit of breaking other peoples cars, as that's bad for business, and that the technology we use to tow cars, when used properly, does not damage them.

She wasn't convinced, see, she owned an EXPENSIVE CAR!

And EXPENSIVE CARS are special! In ways you can't understand!

If you don't own an EXPENSIVE CAR you clearly don't understand this specialness and will harm that very EXPENSIVE CAR if you so much as LOOK at it without putting on special car-viewing glasses first that negate the glowing green negative envy-rays that shoot from the eye sockets of the little people like me who can't deal with the fact they're looking at an EXPENSIVE CAR they can't possibly ever afford!

I guess she was really concerned that I still didn't understand the perils of towing an EXPENSIVE CAR because her parting shot after failing to find any damage and paying was this:

Her: And just WHAT kind of car do YOU drive?!
    Me: Me? I have a Ford Taurus
    Her: EXACTLY!!!

What she meant by that, I have no clue, but words cannot really do justice to the inflection of that statement, just how sure she was that she had just solved one of the great mysteries of the world and expected her last name to appear in textbooks from now on for that insight.

Of course, I cursed myself after she left, there were sooooo many ways I could've had a better comeback.

I could've told her about my Porsche and held up the key on my ring if she disbelieved... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/...46559fce_o.jpg

Or told her that I own "several cars" and drive a different one "depending on the weather" also a 100% true statement as you all know.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/...946fab672c.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/...23f80e97b2.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/...f0f6786b_o.jpg
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...69037066_n.jpg

Alas, the truly good ideas never come up when you need them, do they?

Double Alas, she isn't the only person with this mindset that believes in a direct causal link between the cost of your car and your moral station in life.

Like that one property we tow from, where we're expressly forbidden by the property owner to tow out any BMW's, Mercedeses, Lexussussess Infinitis or Cadillacs because, even if they don't have permits, they might belong to "Someone important".

The lot owner furthermore doesn't seem to believe that such vehicles cannot be owned by a college kid spoiled by Daddy's high credit limit. I've seen these kids park in that lot, walk across the street for class, then over to the Starbucks for a latte' and then come back. I've seen them do it multiple times. I've seen the chem textbooks in the car. I've seen the cheap booze bottles, track team sweatshirts and fanny packs inside. They have permits in them for notorious student housing apartments. But, try as I might, I just can't make the lot owners believe that these are NOT the cars of highly important lawyers and successful businessmen whos nonexistent favor they're trying to curry. "Better leave it" they say, "they might have a reason to need to be there".

Flip side, the lot owner has, on more than one occasion, tried to call in one of their OWN tenants for having a car "too rusty" parked in the lot, even though it's registered, inspected and has one of THEIR OWN permits in it. They always seem surprised to learn that, as when you call them back explaining that 10 year old Honda is one of their employees, they always say: "Really? Who still drives one of THOSE?!" Amazing.

I have to remind myself, for very fictional Gordon Gekko, there's a real life Leona Helmsley who inspired their creation. Incidentally, the two most successful and wealthy business owners I ever worked for drove, a 15-year old GMC Sierra Pickup and a Chevy Suburban, respectively. Make of that what you will.

Listen to my Case!

-Yeah, you towed my Jeep from 120 Backalley Way, but I have a permit.
    -According to the paperwork, it didn't have a permit in it when it was towed
    -Well, not at the time, see, I loaned my permit to my buddy so he could park there for the weekend, he was going to give it back, I just didn't get it back yet
    -I'm sorry, but if there's no permit in the vehicle, then it can be towed. The rules of the lot are that permits must be visible at all times
    -You don't have to get all rude with me!
    -I'm not, I'm just explaining the rules, without a permit in the car, you can't park there
    -But I have one
    -Was it in the car?
    -No, it's right here! *shows permit*
    -Well, it obviously wasn't in the car then, it will be $115 to release
    -I have to pay to get my own car back from my own space?!
    -Yes, you must have a permit to park there, and it must be in the car
    -I was going to PUT it in there!
    -There's nothing I can do about that, if it wasn't in the car, you can be towed, and you will have to pay to get the car back.
    -This is F*cking unbelievable!
    -Please don't swear at me, Sir, I haven't sworn at you.
    -Whatever, I just can't believe you won't let me plead my case!
    -You don't have a case to plead

*at this point, his cell rings and he starts talking to his buddy on the other end*

-Yeah? Buddy? It's me, yeah, they did tow my car, and I gotta pay them to get it back, can you believe this bulls*it? .... Yeah.... Yeah I told him I was going to put it back in the car but he won't let me plea my case, keeps giving me the runaround and I can't get a straight answer from him!

Cute, that's not the way I remember the conversation.

-Yeah, I know, you don't have to pay me, it's not your fault these guys won't listen to my case! Catch you later. *click* So I REALLY have to pay? You're just going to ignore my case?
    -I can get you a manager if you'd like
    -YES!

*Now, Towing Manager arrives on the scene*

-Look, I have a permit for where I just got towed from, I didn't have it in the car, but I was going to put it up, and this guy *points to me* won't listen to my case!
    -So, you didn't have a permit in the car when it was towed?
    -No!
    -Then you have no case to plead, $115, cash, credit or debit.

Later, I drove by the lot again later on an unrelated call and found that they now did have a permit up in their car, along with a note suggesting I perform an act on myself that would be terribly unwholesome and, quite frankly, anatomically impossible.

Paying Attention is, Like, Uncool or Something

I hate dealing with "whatever" teenagers. I'm not too fond of regular teenagers, but the, like, whatever, y'know kind? That like, don't follow rules, because, like, I dunno? Nobody like told me, rules and like stuff, it's like.... I'm like too jaded and cynical to like, care, about like, jobs and stuff? And like, you didn't hold my hand and tell me not to do that, so how was I, like, to know? Yeah, THAT KIND, they'll make a serial killer out of me yet, just give it time. Thus, I was probably a bit more curt with this gentleman than usual, but gall-darnit' he pushed my buttons!

Anyway, this story features 3 players. Me (Me) , Whatever Teen (WT) and Whatever Teen's Friend (F) who come up to me and explain their predicament.

WT - Yeah, I uh, parked, like at this lot at 400 Main St. And, I, like got towed.
    ME - Yes, that's a metered parking lot, looks like you got towed for parking at the meter and not paying it.
    WT - Well, like, I didn't know that it was there, like, I didn't see it.
    ME - Sorry, but you still have to pay, the lot is signed.
    WT - But, I didn't see it.
    ME -Oh well
    WT - *stare*
    ME - *stare*
    WT - *stare*
    ME - *stare*
    WT - So, that's it? Huh? No, like, breaks?
    ME -Nope, in the future, pay attention.
    F - Dude! You got OWNED!

There are probably about 50 meters in that lot. You drove past the entrance sign informing you that it was a meter lot and you'd be towed if you didn't pay the meter, you parked at the far end in one of the LAST spots, so you had to have driven past about 40 or MORE meters, and yet you didn't see any of them? Or the sign? There's only so many times I warn you you're about to step off a cliff before I'm going to just step aside and let whatever nature wants to happen, happen.

Sorry, but in this case, you're friend was right. Oh so very right. You should listen to your friend. Friendship is magic, or so I've heard.
    Last edited by Argabarga; 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

First lady: I don't care if you drive a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, if it's parked illegally, it's going to be TOWED! So park your expensive Precious somewhere legal next time!

Lot owner: You're an idiot. Your tenants own beaters because beaters are cheap and we are still in a recession. And the whole point of permit parking is to keep freeloaders off of your property. If you insist upon your prejudiced attitude, it's going to come back and bite you in the ass.

Case Pleader: You don't have a case. Your permit was not in your car, therefore it got towed. Next time keep your permit in your car. And get your buddy a temporary permit or make other arrangements.

Whatever Boy: Your friend is far more savvy than you think you are. Pay attention to your surroundings and you won't get in trouble. Oh, and nobody is impressed with your attitude; it just screams "I'm lazy and stupid and arrogant."
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      Stand Aside, Useless Prole! Bourgeois Comin' Through!
      And on the off chance that (provable) damage HAD been done during towing, I would think that the towing company's insurance would have covered it. Then again, she sounds like the sort fo person who would have just thrown the car away in such a case (literally junked it, not sold it) and just grabbed one of her *other* EXPENSIVE CARS
      where we're expressly forbidden by the property owner to tow out any BMW's, Mercedeses, Lexussussess Infinitis or Cadillacs because, even if they don't have permits, they might belong to "Someone important".
      Er, no, Mr Lot Owner...they're people parked there illegally, taking up spots that your PAYING customers could be using; they are therefore LOSING you money.
      Whatever Teen (WT) and Whatever Teen's Friend (F) who come up to me and explain their predicament.
      I would have been so tempted to call the latter "WTF"
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

"That's quite a coincidence! I happen to have an expensive car just like that one! It's parked on our tow yard next to that jeep."

Comment

All cars are equal in the eyes of God and
          Tow trucks, ma'am.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

As for the guy trying to plead his case: You did let him plead his case, it just didn't help him at all. When he said he took the permit out of the car he sunk himself. Case done. Next.

Comment

So just what was Snob Lady driving? You don't say. It wasn't actually a Taurus, was it?

Because that's not an expensive car. It might be pricey, but it's not on the level of a BMW.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I really don't mean to rub it in, Argabarga, but your stories make me glad I don't have a pariah job like yours.
                This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

It was a BMW 5-series. About 5 or so years old. Nothing all that special as far as expensive cars go, there are plenty in this town that cost MORE.

Comment

Is that a Conquest/Starion?
                    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Conquest, though as you pointed out, they're both the same car.

Comment

You're doing the Lord's work, Arga.

The Lord of Deflating Egos, perhaps, but it's still the Lord's work.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

What was the price of that M35, adjusted for inflation, when Uncle Sam first acquisitioned it?

That probably could have shut up Ms. EXPENSIVE CAR. :P

...also, you could have TOLD her you had an M35, neglecting to mention it's not an Infiniti M35...

Comment

Snob lady: You are no more special than anyone else, just because you paid more for your car. Go fuck yourself.

Lot owner: Let me get this straight...you determine who gets towed based on their car, not whether or not the have a permit? And you think these potentially important people are going to be so grateful to you for letting them park in your lot without paying you that it will somehow benefit you in the future? How's that worked out for you so far? You're not only a terrible fucking businessman, but you're also fucking delusional.

Faux lawyer: Your case is fucked, and now so are you.

Whatever Teen: If you insist in not paying attention, you are going to continue to get fucked.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                              There's only so many times I warn you you're about to step off a cliff before I'm going to just step aside and let whatever nature wants to happen, happen.
                              I'm like Spiderman in that respect. Everybody gets one. After that I don't care.
                              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Working...
                              X