This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic Jam

As a hospice nurse, you'd expect from time to time I would have problems with traffic. After all, today is a Saturday. People are out and about doing their business, the roads fill up, and it's just hard to get from point A to point B.

I accept this for what it is. I'm sure the pizza guys on the board will get what I'm talking about here. I just set some good tunes on the old iPod and cruise along to my destination, especially today since I'm doing the scheduled visits rather than the emergencies.

I expect traffic on the roads. Inside the facilities, though, is another matter.

I show up at this one place to do a simple antibiotic injection. The resident is in the dining room, and has finished lunch, so I go to wheel her back to the room. The halls are the narrowest I've ever seen, and everyone is leaving at once. The halls are filled with little old ladies in wheelchairs creeping along as they finish their lunchtime gossip.

I swear, it was like the LA Parkway (known to some as the LA Parking Lot).

And as is par for the course with this job, it's my co-irkers I'm ticked off at today.

I have two scheduled dressing changes today. Neither of them have the supplies I need. Some I am able to get from the car (I carry a bucket of stuff with me), but for one visit, she was so totally out of supplies I had to go back to the main office to get well, everything.

The antibiotic injection: same issue. These assisted living facilities don't store what you need to give an intramuscular injection because med techs don't do that. No one had left supplies for me to use (they're supposed to).

Really, guys? Is it really so damn hard to make sure the weekend nurses have the supplies they need to you know, actually do the job at hand? Or at least to leave us a message TELLING us that so we know to hit the supply room before we hit the road.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.
Working...
X