This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the...?

Carded a kid for cigars. He hands over his ID.

Me: You know you turn 18 in December?
    SC: What? ...uhmmm, yeah okay.
    Me: .......
    SC: .......what?
    Me: You have to be 18 to buy these.
    SC: You do?
    Me: Yeah.
    SC: Oh, I didn't know you had to be eighteen to get those.

...are you...stupid? His I.D. was from this state and was current and he didn't have any kind of differing dialect. So he wasn't from anywhere else where perhaps people don't card for cigars. I think he was just trying to make it less awkward than "I was trying to scam you into giving me cigars by just pulling out my I.D. because you won't read it anyway."

Surprise. I like to see if people have my same birth date. So I ACTUALLY LOOK AT THEM AND READ THE DATES.

Crazy kids.

Also:

I constantly get this: "You look like this girl [insert neighbor girl, grand daughter, etc.] but she's nine." [Or some equally as insane low number.]

Thanks. I'll look forever young.

Actually, you might appreciate that when you're 40.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post

That's what I tried telling one of my friends once, although I'm not sure it helped much... Not when she was 22-mistaken-for-12. Granted the ladies in question were extremely old.

I've noticed that some people start to lump all young ages together, even when it doesn't make sense. Like when I ran into my 2nd grade teacher and she assumed I was 18 when I was really 36.

Comment

I'm almost 30 and people still think I'm in high school, and they also confuse my mom for my older sister. There's good age genes on my mom side of the family.
        ......../\
        ....../__\
        ..../\...../\
        ../__\../__\

Comment

I had a kid come in show me his ID for cigarettes and he was a few months away from 18. I said I'm not gonna sell to him and he left. So 5-10 minutes later another guy comes in asking for the same brand.

I explained to the guy what just happened with Mr. Underage and luckily he was pretty cool with it. I called the manager and she said it was okay because she recognized the guy.

The funny part of this story is that the kid came back months later and said when I asked for ID that this time he was old enough. And we had a nice little chuckle after that.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I had a kid come in show me his ID for cigarettes and he was a few months away from 18. I said I'm not gonna sell to him and he left. So 5-10 minutes later another guy comes in asking for the same brand.
            kinda reminds me of the tiff over on PFB right now about carding for items and refusing sales when things look suspicious.

Comment

It stopped happening when I turned 40. I got old overnight or something.

I think I already told the story about how I was mistaken for 12 when I was 35...

Comment

It doesn't help the least bit when the underage cashier you're doing the booze ring up for looks older than you but is actually several years younger. I'm pretty sure it hurt her feelings when the customer point that out.

I was stickler for checking the DOB, and making sure I handled the card. I've even called out people by saying simply, "We card if you look under 40. You look younger than ME and I get carded all the time."

When our sister sup center opened across town, they had to scan the cards into the register for booze, cig and certain meds. They've long since done away with that, but I admit, I rather liked it. It leveled the playing field, requiring everyone be carded.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

My personal favourite is when they get REALLY angry/offended that you asked for ID. Consider it a compliment that you look under thirty, children. It doesn't last forever.

Comment

I'm 43 and I don't appreciate it at all. Especially when the obvious college guys in front of me, buying 12-packs of beer, don't get carded and I do for my lone bottle of wine. That's happened more than once and I don't get it.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                      I constantly get this: "You look like this girl [insert neighbor girl, grand daughter, etc.] but she's nine." [Or some equally as insane low number.].
                      Of course now if you post about some creeper hitting on you, it adds a whole new level of discomfort...
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

When my grandfather died, my aunt, who is 17 years younger than my mother came up to visit my grandmother for the first time in 17 years. When my sister and I saw her, we were both shocked by how badly she had aged. She didn't look like my mother's little sister; she looked like my grandmother's little sister.

You know you have aged badly when you look older than someone who is actually 17 years older than you.
                        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Working...
                        X