This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Prague Explosion

As many of you now know, a gas leak triggered an explosion in Prague this morning. At least 55 people were treated for injuries (most of them due to flying glass), and a considerable amount of property damage has occurred.

I'm rather amused at the headlines. The kind of headlines that keep you reading, though they're inaccurate. It was a gas leak; nothing more sinister than that.

I was at work when the explosion happened, and I heard it. We all did. The guys thought it was the wind. Less than an hour later, we heard the news - and began looking for information online.

I went down to the site later, after work, and ... well, it's something of a mess. Windows have been blown out. The street is littered with glass and dust. Cars have been destroyed. Streetcars are still running (with a hiatus that took place after I arrived on the scene this afternoon), but they aren't stopping at the two stops closest to the explosion site.

Quite a day, all told.

Here is the CNN report. It is fortunate no one was killed.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I actually didn't know. I tend to skip the news when I can. Thanks for the update. Glad no one was killed. And that it wasn't terrorist associated.

Comment

When I saw the news, I immediately thought of you. Glad to hear that you were no where near it. Even better that no one was killed. Prayers to those that were injured.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Watched the news all throughout dinner tonight.

Amanda Knox
          Gay NBA player
          Syria used chemical warfare against civilians
          Flooding in the Midwest

Surprised nothing was mentioned about this.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

It made Yahoo! News briefly, but only briefly.

It's weird to know that the odd noise we all heard that morning was the explosion. When I went down there later, the emergency workers had various areas cordoned off. After I had taken several pictures (as had other people), the police rounded us all up and herded us down the street, then cordoned off that area, too. I read later that they discovered a second gas leak - that must have been why they evacuated the area.

One clueless woman asked me what was going on. Another woman told her about the explosion. The first woman said, "But why is the travel agency closed?"

The second woman, with amazing restraint, explained that businesses in the vicinity had been evacuated.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
              One clueless woman asked ... "But why is the travel agency closed?"

The second woman, with amazing restraint, explained
              "The workers did not wish to travel *that* rapidly."
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
              X