This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waive the fee? how ' bout no!

I work customer service in the back office of a bank in tandem with deposit operations (I'll call them "DO"). So what DO does is call all customers that show up on a daily report to ask them to make a deposit so we can pay an item that came through the previous day as NSF. If they cannot deposit before the deadline we give them, the item is returned and we charge a fee. Simple, right? Not so much.

When DO can't get a hold of the customer, they leave a voicemail. At the moment, it's just me and one other person (part time) answering the call backs.

I had this one woman call in on a busy Friday after the deadline demanding to know why we called her mobile when NO ONE is allowed to call it. Uh ok I told her when she opened the account she must have given it because we only call the numbers on file. I was really nice and asked her if she had an alt contact number we could use instead.

So I got the house phone and did some file maintenance and got down to business why we called. I advised her of our policy of NSF items and that we returned her check. She flipped a nutty saying how dare we return her check and that she's going to call the manager of her branch and MAKE us pay the check. Which brings us to the lovely title of this thread:

Waive. The. Fee. I swear you could cut her tone with a knife. She was that nasty.

Even if I had the almighty power of waiving the fee, I had had enough of this bitch and checked her overdraft history. Yep, repeat offender. I put her on hold while she was still babbling at me (which I never ever do) and called the branch she uses. Thankfully I got the manager on the first ring and told him the sitch. He had me transfer her over and after several minutes, the manager called me back.

Much yelling was had by her and the manager told her in no uncertain terms that he also had enough of her attitude and he would be cutting her a check for the remaining funds and wished her best of luck with another bank. I owe him cookies, by the way.

My bank was nice enough to waive a fee for me one time, and I didn't even ask them to do it. It was my own fault, and they had already done me a favor by putting the check thru anyway, since I was only short by a couple bucks, so I wouldn't have even thought to ask.

I was a little confused when I got my statement. It showed an overdraft fee, and I could see the check the caused it, but it looked like it had still cleared. I called them to ask about it, and they said that since it was only a couple bucks, and I wasn't someone who bounced checks on a regular basis, they put it thru anyway and let my balance go slightly negative. It helped that it was a small, local bank.

After I got off the phone, I drove straight to the bank, with some cash to deposit to bring my account back in the black. After they processed the deposit, they told me they were waiving the overdraft fee. I made sure to thank them for that.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Wow, that branch manager is AWESOME! Not only does he refuse her demands but he also tells her they don't want her business anymore at all! Hope he didn't get into trouble over that ...

My current bank does give you a grace period (albeit a short one, LOL) in which, if you get the money in there, your cheque/automatic withdrawal won't bounce. I've still had a couple automatic withdrawals bounce ... couldn't get the money in there on time ... but that's my problem, not the bank's.

Comment

He fired a customer???!!!

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

My compliments to that branch manager. Let's see this SC find a bank or even a credit union that will take her business...such as it is.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            He fired a customer???!!!

An amazingly smart business move really.

Comment

Ah, thank goodness for a manager with a brain, and corporate policy that authorizes him to use it! More companies should give lower-level employees the means to "fire" a customer.

Comment

My bank has waived such fees for me on occasion, as well - mainly for overdrafts beyond my control, and occasionally for ones where a deposit was given to them one day and didn't "post" for 2 or 3 because of the timing/type. Then again, I've been banking there for 20+ years and half of the crew knows me by name ^_^

Then again, if they won't or can't reverse a charge, I suck it up and be more careful next time.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Well Done Bank Manager!

I disputed an overdraft fee once... only because I had good reason. the bank reimbursed the fee with no hassle.

monday morning: write a check
                  monday ~noon: realize that it won't quite clear and transfer funds from another account so everything will be okay
                  tuesday: see that funds have left account B
                  wednesday morning: check hits account A... overdraft
                  wednesday C.O.B: funds from account B hit account A
                  I brought the paperwork showing the series of events to the bank and asked politely that the fee be reimbursed. since this was the first overdraft, they said "no problem" and sent me on my way.

Comment

Yeah he's pretty badass. We don't often fire customers, so she must have been even worse to him than she was to me. Her overdraft history was also atrocious and had quite a lot of courtesy waivers. This call was probably the last strike. It was just as well as we may have been stuck with a loss eventually.

The rule with anything is if you're nice and don't do it often, then people are more willing to work with you on an issue. I mean, that's just common sense!

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
                      monday morning: write a check
                      monday ~noon: realize that it won't quite clear and transfer funds from another account so everything will be okay
                      tuesday: see that funds have left account B
                      wednesday morning: check hits account A... overdraft
                      wednesday C.O.B: funds from account B hit account A
                      Makes me kind of wonder where your money was from Monday noon to Wednesday COB. Two days that your money wasn't in your possession? What was the bank doing with it? (My guess: something that netted them more than the overdraft fee.)

(Note: I am a cynic.)
                      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth lachesis View Post
                        The rule with anything is if you're nice and don't do it often, then people are more willing to work with you on an issue. I mean, that's just common sense!
                        Precisely, which is just what SCs don't (or won't) understand. Once is a mistake, anyone can make mistakes. Many times is deliberate, or stupidity, possibly both. Anyone who's keeps doing that crap over and over deserves the boot.

A big to the spine-of-steel manager who showed her the door.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                        X