This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have no idea why this

Cracked me up....but it did. I got my first nigerian/ FBI is gonna get you scam email!!! i am not falling for it, of course, but i cant stop giggling. The idea of lil ole me having a warrant is just...yeah. i'm still

Those are especially amusing when they're full of misspelled words and bad grammar. Makes me want to "red pen" them and send them back....but I don't want them to be able to send out more convincing scam letters.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Send me your snail mail address and I'll send you a cake with a file in it.

What I used to love were the emails telling me (for example) I'm entitled to U.S. veterans' benefits. I'm Canadian. I live in Canada. I did spend 5 years in the U.S. (while I was in high school) but have never been a member of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. So how I'm entitled to U.S. veterans' benefits is a puzzle to me.

Comment

Yeah...this one wasnt misspelled but oh...the grammar!!! It was so bad!
        @ pixilated....that cake would be grate!!

Comment

I've often wanted to correct the emails too, MoonCat! Makes me twitch like Sheldon when I see the mistakes.

Comment

Oh boy, have I got a story surrounding one of those.

My wife ended up getting one of those a few years back. This guy actually managed to get a hold of our phone number (she claims she didn't tell him, but I've since found out she had her real name in her IM profile, so that's likely how he found it. I've had a talk with her since about online security). Anyways, the guy was obviously Nigerian, as Caller ID revealed (busted). The BS story he came up with was that he was stuck in Florida but only had his own national currency. He took that supposedly 'useless' money and bought several money orders with it, then sent them to my wife to cash and send him the money back so he could get it exchanged. That right there was enough BS to set her alarms off because she knows banks will do those exchanges, something Mr. Scammer neglected to take into account. On top of that, this is a woman he just met on Yahoo IM, and he's asking for financial assistance? Yup, seems legit.

So in the mail comes money orders for $900. My wife takes them to the bank, not to cash them, but to have them verified. The bank immediately spots that they are phony and they shred them for her. End of story, right?

Wrong. Recall that he had our phone number. He then started calling to harass my wife (mostly during the day while I was at work) to demand his money. My wife told him the gig was up and that the bank shredded the money orders, but he still insisted he was owed money. Well, she's not going for it, and starts ignoring the phone. Mr. Scammer then moves to phase 2, which is an FBI letter direct from the director of the FBI, Robert S. Mueller III himself! GASP! The director of the FBI apparently took issue with the fact that Mr. Emerson Francis (nice bogus name) was owed his money and if she didn't pay up he would have her arrested. So why not do the right thing and give poor, starving, Mr. Emerson Francis his money? I took a look at it and busted out laughing. The copy/paste job and grammar were enough to scream phony.

The letter was ignored. A few days pass, and this time, the guy has the misfortune to call while I was home. Recognizing the number on Caller ID, I answered and proceeded to lay the smack down. Called him out on the fact he was a scammer, he was owed nothing, the money orders where phony, and never call our house again. He then tried to claim he would go to the FBI, but I laughed in his face, said I saw his laughable phony letter and said nice try.

In the immortal words of Willy Wonka, "You get NOTHING! You LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!"
            A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Thats so awesome.

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
                Cracked me up....but it did.
                Probably knowing that there are people actually gullible enough to fall for that sort of thing....or how little thought the scammer put into it.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                  Oh boy, have I got a story surrounding one of those.

*very large snip*
                  That was a classic! Although I'm kinda surprised you didn't invite him to go right ahead and call the FBI ... wait, sir, haven't you tried that already?

Comment

Yes, because the FBI has nothing better to do.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

http://www.poopsenders.com/. Since you have his address (or at least a way to send him things in the mail), you could send him a nice quart of cow crap. Tell him it's his money, post processing.

Comment

Working...
                      X