Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yeah, they coulda done better ... (kinda long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, they coulda done better ... (kinda long)

There seems to be mild suckage all over the place in this incident.

Twice a month Mom's nursing home takes some of the residents out to area restaurants for lunch. There are usually only between six and 10 on any given excursion, because many are in wheelchairs and that's quite a bit of maneuvering. They rent an accessible bus, which of course has to be booked: what time to pick up the participants at the nursing home, and equally importantly, when to arrive back at the restaurant to ferry them all back.

Mom has gone twice so far, the second time being today. Both times I've met them at the restaurant and had lunch with her.

The first time, at one of my favourite local restaurants, things went well.

This time, not so much (it was at a different restaurant -- well-known chain). I arrived late (surprise, surprise) and the others had already ordered. No problem for me; I had my own vehicle so wasn't constrained by their timeline, and I told the server this. She took my order and departed. Shortly afterwards, she and another server working the same area brought our drinks.

Then we waited. And waited. And waited.

Yes, it was the lunch hour but the restaurant was by no means full. There were large expanses of shining-clean EMPTY tables all over the place.

We had all ordered off the supposedly "quick lunch" menu and 20 minutes after I arrived, the others had yet to receive salads and/or soups. The staff member got up and went in search of the server to explain the situation vis a vis the bus. I think maybe somebody bunted the orders to the front of the line, because the salads and soups arrived shortly thereafter (including mine). The meals arrived at a respectable amount of time after that (e.g. everybody was finished with their starters). The 2nd server continued to help out.

At some point in here, the staff member said something to the 2nd server about how this was supposed to be the quick-serve menu, etcetera. She wasn't yelling or whining but she was obviously not happy. The server, who was still handing out platters, didn't respond. When she left, the staff member said to me, "I guess she didn't hear me." While I agreed that the service was problematic, I did point out that the servers have no real control over what's going on in the kitchen -- the best they can do is go back and let the kitchen staff know there's a time issue with a specific table or group.

About halfway through my lunch I stopped our server and asked for a second pot of tea. As I always do, I said, "No rush. Whenever you have a moment."

Never got it.

Between one thing and another, I don't think the nursing home is going to return to this place anytime soon. I certainly won't.

Could it be that she forgot to mention that you didn't mind getting your meal later? Or she didn't understand it?

Or it could be she took the "no rush" as literal and just never got around to it because you told her "no rush."

Either way, don't blame you for not wanting to try the restaurant again. (Personally I'd give it a second shot when I had time to kill to see if it was a common occurrence or a weird glitch in the system, but with the situation of your mom's work, totally understandable they wouldn't want to risk another time-crunch. I hate being rushed to eat. Upsets my digestion.)
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

If it rhymes with snapplebee's, that's why I don't go there, either.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Have they considered the possibility that the delays ect were a deliberate attempt to ensure that the nursing home did not consider them again? Because to my cynical mind, that is exactly what they were doing. Just enough slowness and mess up to make sure that they don't get considered again for an outing.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
          Could it be that she forgot to mention that you didn't mind getting your meal later? Or she didn't understand it?

Or it could be she took the "no rush" as literal and just never got around to it because you told her "no rush."

Either way, don't blame you for not wanting to try the restaurant again. (Personally I'd give it a second shot when I had time to kill to see if it was a common occurrence or a weird glitch in the system, but with the situation of your mom's work, totally understandable they wouldn't want to risk another time-crunch. I hate being rushed to eat. Upsets my digestion.)
          The odd thing was, despite the fact I ordered late, I got my food at the same time as everybody else. The only complaint I really had was the nonexistent second tea. I did tell her "no rush" about it but ... that did mean "sometime today," LOL. The nursing home had the main problem with the slowness of the food because they were on a schedule due to the bus's return at 1:30. I'm not sure what happens if the client is significantly delayed when the bus arrives ... I can't imagine the bus just pulls away and leaves half a dozen people in wheelchairs (and 1 or 2 staff members) to fend for themselves. I suspect this is where significant overtime comes into the picture ...

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          Have they considered the possibility that the delays ect were a deliberate attempt to ensure that the nursing home did not consider them again? Because to my cynical mind, that is exactly what they were doing. Just enough slowness and mess up to make sure that they don't get considered again for an outing.
          I never thought of that, although the server was very young, so I was wondering if it was just inexperience on her part (though she has nothing to do with the speed of the kitchen). But your suggestion is certainly not impossible.

Food Lady, it doesn't rhyme with snapplebee's. It rhymes with least wide barrios.

Comment

Ah, West End Luigi's, where someone tries to "rub out" Tony Soprano with a bomb at his favourite hangout. That explains everything.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              If it rhymes with snapplebee's, that's why I don't go there, either.
              I dunno, but the one near our home is rather nice, they turned my moms appetizer into a meal but kept the price when she explained it was the only thing she could have.

Comment

Working...
              X