X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour me shtooopit ...

This occurred a week or two ago.

Tried to log into my bank. Couldn't. Tried repeatedly. Kept getting error message (can't recall now what it was). Cue me doing the

Called the bank. Was definitely polite as I spoke to the bank rep since I had no idea whether the problem had anything at all to do with the bank. As it turned out, this was a Good Thing.

About 10 minutes into the call the light dawns. Flickering, granted, but it's there.

This is the same browser I've been having issues with on various sites recently.

"Hang on," I tell bank rep. "Lemme see if a different browser works."

It does.

Apologize to bank rep, who laughs it off, and slink away into the night.

Why can't all of our customers be as polite and self-aware as you? I spoke to a crusty asshole today who insisted that something was wrong with our online banking. Because hold times for tech support are excessive and it's usually not really a "technical" problem, we try to help customers ourselves before transferring the call. I was able to log into my own personal account with no problem; nothing wrong with our website.

When I asked him what web address he was using, he indicated that he was selecting a link from a search engine, not typing the URL directly.

When I asked him to please type our website into the address bar, he asked me where the address bar would be; what was I talking about? So I asked him what browser he was using.

"Google!"

FML. "Google is not the web browser sir; Google is a search engine. Which program do you use to open Google?"

"I don't know what you're talking about; I just use Google!"

Forget this. I transferred him to tech support.
    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Hey Pix, just to save us other occasionally absent minded from the same slinking, what are the details on the browser snafu? That kind of thing (". . . I've been having issues with on various sites recently.") usually means some sort of incompatible update w/ the browser or an add-on. I run on the bleeding edge of obsolescence (:smile so I may run into the same soon. (I can only use Mozilla for my grocery store's shopping flyer, for instance, as the rest of my hardware won't support the versions of IE and Chrome that parse the mapping portions of HTML correctly.)

Comment

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
        FML. "Google is not the web browser sir; Google is a search engine. Which program do you use to open Google?"

"I don't know what you're talking about; I just use Google!"
        I'm really wondering how many people called the bank and told them that the browser they were using was "Dell" or "Compaq"...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I did have a customer one day who identified his internet browser as Yahoo...
          Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Working...
          X