This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mathnerd View Post
    I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread, but since it pertains to banking, I suppose it's not really hijacking.
    Works for me. Whatever gives me interesting stories to read.

Quoth mathnerd View Post

So, the phone rings and I answer it with my usual spiel. He gives me the customer's information and I pull up his line of credit. His question is why is there a five cent "charge" on his account. I look over the account and it shows that a $300 advance was pulled to cover an overdraft in his checking account. This is the minimum draft for overdraft protection from a line of credit. The customer paid it back the next day. The five cents is the interest on the money for the day. I explain this to the banker and think that it's all settled. There are no errors, the charge is legitimate. Now, if he was a nice guy, and had asked politely, we could have probably reversed and reapplied his payment, backdating it to the same day as the draft, eliminating the piddly little interest charge. But that's not what he did. This guy went NUTS, screaming and yelling at the banker for "stealing" his money. The banker attempted to calm him down, explaining that unlike credit cards, there is no grace period on a line and that interest starts accruing the day of the draft. This man wasn't having it. I hear a loud crash on the other end of the phone and the banker explained to me that he had to go because he'd just pressed the panic button because this guy was destroying the branch; throwing chairs and knocking stuff off desks, because off the injustice of having to pay for interest when he borrowed money. The banker was kind enough to follow up with me. The guy was arrested and charged with a whole host of offenses.

Gahh. I wanted to post more but kid chaos is breaking loose. I will be back later.
    Wow. I've had people get mad at us for the overdraft itself. Spent well over a half-hour with one customer proving to her that we had not "stolen" her money from her savings after multiple overdraws transferred the money to her checking account. But that has to be one of the the worst reactions to an interest charge that I know of.

Comment

Working...
    X