This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man of Steel, the power outage...LONG

(no spoilers here I promise...and I'll be getting to the point....just have a lot of set up, go here for the spoilers)

so my friend scored 2 FREE tickets to the 3d 7pm showing of Man of Steel.....the same night we have a horrendous thunderstorm move through the area, knocking out power to most of the south end of town and parts of the north end (where movie theater is).

We get there a little after 6 to see a good sized line, and a wipe board near the roped off area...which we assume says "man of steel line enter here".

since parking is horrendous, I drop my friend off to stand in line while I park the car....at this point we're last in line that barely covers the front of the building.

As I walk up the manager is announcing something...which isn't a good sign...since the movie is slated to start at 7, and its a tad bit after 6. I only catch the tail end, but it doesn't sound promising.

An employee standing near by politely asks if I'd like it repeated...and soon learn that a tree had fallen on the power lines and there had been NO power in the building since 2pm....the power department is still there trying to get it fixed naturally.

they are working their HARDEST and promise that while it may be late...they are trying NOT to be later then 7:30.

que a few grumbles naturally, but everyone is chatting and commenting on the freak storm that passed through, the damage that happened in their neighborhoods, and small talk in general.

people are now lining up behind us....and by 6:45 the line is starting to snake around the BACK of the building.

little before 7 the manager comes out again, and states that the power department thought they had it fixed, but when they sent power to the building, they found a SECOND break in the line somewhere and there would be another delay.

Couple of people around me start shouting at the manager saying things like "oh come on....at least give us free popcorn when we get in there!"

I told the ones around my immediate area, to hush up (rather firmly actually), and that they should consider themselves lucky they are working so hard on a time constraint.....I swear to god they went dead silent! I swear I saw an employee/manager give me a smile in thanks.

7:15 rolls around and a few of the kids are getting bored and (quietly) complaining that they want to sit down and why can't we go inside and sit down...then the 2 HUGE power department cherry picker type trucks and 2 standard trucks drive by all giving us the thumbs up and honking their horns....every single person started clapping and cheering right as the manager came out and said that the power was finally on, and if we would be patient a little longer they'd get us in and seated and no movie would start until everyone was in.

now for the SC's that I noticed....

remember that line I mentioned? the nice long one that wrapped around the outside of the 16 screen theater? people were showing up at 7pm (when the thing is supposed to START and the shocked looks on their faces when they see the huge line.

(NOT an SC...that I heard at least) One such couple was a VERY VERY VERY visibly pregnant woman and male friend stand near us on the corner....sighed...and walked to the end of the line....if I thought the people around me wouldn't mind to much I'd of let her slip in line with me....even though I wasn't at the front of the line I was VERY near the front.

(SC)to many times to count....a group of people....6-8 sometimes at a time, would walk up and start chatting with people near the front of the line and meld in, moving us who have been waiting a good while to move back.

(SC)another group around the time that the line was around the corner and out of sight, stood near the corner where we were, and just stood there socializing, then as the line started moving into the building for the movie, worked their way into the line effectively cutting minimum an hour out of their own wait.

(SC)as we're walking into the building, it was fairly well ordered and organized. The manager told everyone to have their tickets ready and to tell them 2d or 3d when they got their ticket torn. I can only imagine how many don't listen....

(SC)concession stand...oh god...ok...I know its not the employees fault the power went out, and they were NOT able to have popcorn popped to even START feeding 800+ people that were expected to show up today....but I'm sure they tried their hardest, since the smell of FRESH popcorn wafted towards us as we walked into the lobby.

(SC)Tickets...its simple...EVERYONE had to buy their ticket from Wal-Mart before this, there was no way in hell you could buy them today, you showed up with ticket in hand, and since they closed down the ENTIRE theater with all their other movies, and had 6 screens open JUST for this movie....guess who many people showed up expecting tickets on site for tonight (7pm showing....releases officially tomorrow Friday), for either the Man of Steel....or any of the other movies playing on the 14 screens (total) available? 50

(SC)Ticket Taking.....remember the announcement? have your tickets ready and make sure to tell them 2d or 3d? my friend and I have more then 2 brain cells...we had our tickets out, and since we were together I said to the guy that I was 3d as well....the next TEN people behind me, got confused, held up the otherwise smoothly moving line to look for little johnny's and little Susie's (not real names obviously) ticket since they were BIG kids and wanted to told their own tickets....and had dropped them somewhere....big plastic tickets for the record....like those prepaid phone cards in size and strength.

Rest of the night went VERY well....the manager had said they planned 1500 seats for these showings, but only sold 800 some odd tickets INTENTIONALLY! Of course there were kids in the theater, and while everyone was loudish while waiting on the movie to start, you could of dropped a pin and sound like an explosion when the lights dimmed and the movie started.

For more on this...read my next post in off topic!
    Last edited by Sarlon; 06-14-2013, 06:07 AM.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

*grabs some of the fresh and meanders over to the Off-Topic theater*

securityguard> HEY! Lemme see your ticket!

*runs*
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can actually see showing up right around the start time, since most movies usually show a good 15 minutes or more of trailers for upcoming features, and I've been tempted to show up late so I could miss the trailers (they're usually way too loud for me).
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Who shows up at 7 for a 7 start time? Ten 'til, to get a decent seat.
        Who shows up for a blockbuster on the night BEFORE opening and expects to get in to the show that starts when they get there? (Who else here stood in line 8 hours for Star Trek: The Motion Sickness? I did. 4 hours for Empire Strikes Back. A new Superman movie? I'd expect at least 2 hours, or more.)
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I would show up that late...for a movie at the dollar theatre. ($2 for adult last time I went there) Even with a popular movie like Iron Man 2, the theater wasn't even half full.

But Man of Steel? NOW? Yeah, GOOD LUCK with that, dumbass.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
            Who shows up at 7 for a 7 start time?
            I do . HOWEVER, I usually hit the latest showing about two weeks after it opens on a Thursday night. I've never seen more than 10 people in a theater doing this, and get to pick a seat dead center.
            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
            And it's not what I wanted to be
            The weight on me
            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
            X