This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sarlon View Post
    This last part might just be me of course....but if Lois Lane has met Clark Kent....interviewed him as a "normal" person, met his mother, and everything...then why does she act surprised like she's never met him when at the end of the movie when he shows up for his first day at the daily planet?
    she never revealed who he was and is trying to help him cover his identity so she would have no reason to know him yet.
    though a spaceship landing on your frontlawn doesn't help with the whole secrecy thing.

Also we didn't get a jimmy olsen because we got a jenny olsen.

why did they take lois on the spaceship?
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Jenny wasnt an Olsen. She was just intern filler. Not even Olsen-like. Doesn't even serve as the foil to Lois or Supes like Olsen does.

Eta: I really enjoyed the movie. I liked it much more than the last one. That last one was just, i dunno, boring. Surprised they "went there" with Zod at the end. I get it's a movie, but I wish they would address the collateral damage factor. Spare a tear for them Supes.
      I wish there had been a touch more humor and wit from Supes. His personaitly didn't come across very well at points.
      Last edited by violiavampyr; 06-25-2013, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
        Jenny wasnt an Olsen. She was just intern filler. Not even Olsen-like. Doesn't even serve as the foil to Lois or Supes like Olsen does.

Eta: I really enjoyed the movie. I liked it much more than the last one. That last one was just, i dunno, boring. Surprised they "went there" with Zod at the end. I get it's a movie, but I wish they would address the collateral damage factor. Spare a tear for them Supes.
        I wish there had been a touch more humor and wit from Supes. His personaitly didn't come across very well at points.
        Yeah, the highlight of "Superman Returns" was Kevin Spacey's Luthor, but even a fun performance from the villain can't save a dull, dull movie.

I have a feeling there might be some deleted scenes that will be on the eventual DVD/Blu-Ray that will fill in a few gaps here or there. Possibly even showing Supes' reaction to the devastation his fights with Zod's forces caused.

As for his personality, I think Henry Cavill did fine getting it across. The first scene in the graveyard, when Lois tells him "The only way you could disappear would be to stop helping people, and I sense that's not an option for you." The expression he had at that line said volumes.

As for wit or humor, bear in mind this is still Clark getting used to being Superman, overtly and wearing the cape. Plus, people don't really trust him yet because they know he's an alien, and they know they have nothing that could reasonably stop him. That said, we got a flash of it in the final scene with Gen. Swanwick. ("How do we know you won't go against America's interests?" "I grew up in Kansas, General. That's about as American as you can get.") I think in the next installment, we may get a little more humor out of Big Blue.

Jor-El was indeed incredibly badass, being able to go toe-to-toe with Zod (bred for combat and war) and fight him to a standstill. Nobody messes with Papa Supes.

Zod was an interesting villain. They gave him some sympathetic motives: the well-being of his people is paramount, and he first had to deal with the caste-calcified and hide-bound High Council not willing to act. When he was captured and condemned, he at first seemed reasonable, since all he wanted was the Codex and didn't want to hurt Kal-El (the son of his peer, Jor-El). It wasn't until he showed that his concern for his species meant that any other species was expendable (goodbye, Earthlings, hello, New Krypton) and that he was willing to kill Kal-El to get the Codex back that he crossed the line from sympathetic anti-villain to outright villain, and then when his ship and army were banished back to the Phantom Zone, he crossed another line and went from villain to monster.

They tempered Zod's seeming sympathetic side with Jax-Ur (the Kryptonian scientist) and Faora. Jax-Ur is, at best, an amoral scientist, coldly logical and uncaring of any pain he might be causing anyone. Faora, meanwhile, is an admitted sociopath, with no sympathy or concern for anyone, and she was easily shown to be the most dangerous villain up until Zod's breakdown at the end, with the speed and frightening ease with which she took apart Col. Hardy's forces.

And Col. Hardy was pure badass. You could see he was scared when faced with the implacability of Faora, but even she looked impressed when he pulled out his knife to go down fighting. He'd just seen her shrug off a minigun, multiple combat rifles, an SMG, and then his sidearm without losing her stride, without even flinching, and he just pulled out his knife anyway. That takes some serious balls. (I think he was meant to be an analog to Guardian from the DC Comics (aka Jim Harper). This is shown from Hardy's call-sign: "Guardian.") It kinda sucks that both he and Dr. Hamilton were killed (or at least sucked into the Phantom Zone) when they crashed the plane into the Kryptonian ship.

I like also that they showed Lois Lane to be a capable person in her own right, and that she found out who Clark was by doing basically investigative reporting. It's a nice change from the seemingly foolishly oblivious versions of Lois we've had in past adaptations. It's an interesting way to modernize the Superman story, since she's now willingly keeping his secret for him.

In case it isn't clear by now, I really liked this movie and if it is going to be a springboard for DC to push its own cinematic universe to build toward an eventual Justice League movie, then they did a great job. (Blink and you'll miss the Waynetech logo on the satellite that Clark and Zod trash in their fight.) I look forward to seeing who they cast as Luthor in the sequel.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
        X