Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was there ever a Native American nation that used the phonetic equivalent of "how' as a greeting, or is that just Hollywood?

Dent, I'm kinda on the fence with this venting. Can't quite figure out if the same six stupid questions is better or worse than the same twenty stupid questions. Whichever, soldier on!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      Was there ever a Native American nation that used the phonetic equivalent of "how' as a greeting, or is that just Hollywood?

Dent, I'm kinda on the fence with this venting. Can't quite figure out if the same six stupid questions is better or worse than the same twenty stupid questions. Whichever, soldier on!
      There are at least twenty. I've already come perilously close to revealing where I work, however.
      "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
      Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth Dentarthurdent View Post
        "Where's the bus to [location only reachable on foot]?" This is kind of the equivalent of asking how to get to Roosevelt's ass when you go to Mount Rushmore.

"Can you give me directions to (town on the other side of the next state over)?" Well, not off the top of my head. At least I have an atlas, though, so I can probably give you a good idea how to get there.
        Don't know about Roosevelt's ass, but in one issue of MAD magazine, I saw a "Don Martin" cartoon where the caretaker took the elevator down to clean up around the statues' feet.

With some of the questions you are (repeatedly) asked, I'm sure you'd LOVE to have the other kind of Atlas.

Quoth sms001 View Post
        And if their headdresses were made with owl feathers instead of eagle feathers, would they use "who" as a greeting?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          When I worked at Little America they ran buses 40 miles east to Green River & Rock Springs and station wagons 40 miles west to Fort Bridger to collect enough staff beyond what lived on the plantation.
          Key West is alot farther than that. It's over 3 hours away from the mainland in Florida, and over 1 hour away from the closest key. So yes, it was a dumb question.

Comment

No but Michigan is my first name. I like to sing and dance....

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post

I just finished an excellent book on Crazy Horse and they mentioned that there was a word 'how.' I don't remember if it was used in greeting or if it was 'I understand.' I remember thinking I should remember that piece of information, but of course I don't.

This is the book I read and source of my information. An excellent read if you're interested in that period of history.
              Last edited by Antares; 07-31-2013, 11:24 AM.
              I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                No but Michigan is my first name. I like to sing and dance....
                Hello my baby,
                Hello my honey,
                Hello my rag-time gaaaaal.

--one Mr. J. Frog
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  --one Mr. J. Frog
                  What's the big deal about this one? It's just a frog.
                  Last edited by MadMike; 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM. Reason: Did you really have to quote the image?
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

What's the big deal about this one? It's just a frog.
                    http://youtu.be/49EoV50oba0

Yup...just a frog...

Comment

Quoth Aislin View Post
                      because my mother looks Hopi I have heard people ignorantly say "how" to her over and over again.

I hope she said "Me speak'um injun sign language" and gave them the one-finger salute.
                      Women can do anything men can.
                      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                      Maxine

Comment

announcing on the PA system that the "bus to the summit" was about to depart in front of the lobby.
                        Absolutely lost it at that one. I have to wonder how many people came rushing down from their rooms. LOL
                        Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Titi View Post
                          Key West is alot farther than that. It's over 3 hours away from the mainland in Florida, and over 1 hour away from the closest key. So yes, it was a dumb question.
                          I generally make it to Key West (from Homestead) in exactly three hours, however, a bad accident can easily turn that into much longer than that. A couple weeks ago traffic was so bad they lifted the toll on Card Sound. They usually only do that during evacuations. But yes, asking somebody if they live in Key West when they work there is a really stupid question.

In my time working loans/lines for a major bank, I compiled a list of questions I never want to answer again, mostly having to do with the basics of lending and interest accrual. Every day I went home and was thankful that I pissed off my old boss while I was a teacher by spending more time than I should have on consumer math. At least my students won't be the ones causing lenders to bash their heads into their desks from stupid questions.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

"Where's the bus to [location only reachable on foot]?" This is kind of the equivalent of asking how to get to Roosevelt's ass when you go to Mount Rushmore. Which I'm sure has been asked.
                            About every year there are at least a few tourists arrested for trying to climb Mt. Rushmore. Then there are the ones who go looking for the backsides of the Presidents http://www.mtrushmoretshirts.com/tshirts2.htm If you've seen the movie 'North by Northwest' you'll remember that they show a house on top of the Mountain - it's not really there because there ain't no room for one.
                            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                              People never seem to pay attention to their surroundings anymore.
                              How about a booth with only 2 tables, they are leaning on a table with their hand touching a rack of earrings and ask where the earrings are.
                              You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Working...
                              X