Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a tendency to be self-conscious. It helps to make lists of the stuff you like about yourself. There's nothing wrong with that. I, for instance, have fabulous hair.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
      I don't dance anymore because on more than one occasion, I actually have had perfect strangers come up to inform me of what a fool I was making of myself.
      Fuck 'em. Who gives a fuck what they think? They only have power over you if you let them.

Listen, I'm a short, mostly non-athletic goofball with odd features and a questionable sense of humor. Not to mention my obnoxiousness and insistence that I'm always right. Well, that's the way some people view me. And there's some truth in it, if I'm gonna be honest, but it is not the whole truth about me, nor the only truth. Shit, I figured out way back in high school that, NO MATTER HOW I LIVE MY LIFE, NO MATTER HOW I ACT, NO MATTER WHAT I DO, there are going to be people who don't like me. And I can get worked up over it and try to somehow change it, or I can just say fuck it, and live my life the way I want to. Since then, I've basically been saying fuck it. And I've been a lot happier because of it.

I have had friends, coworkers, and strangers come up to me and (to use your words) inform me of what a fool I was making of myself. It might be my latest goofy hat. Or dressing up in an odd costume for no reason. Or being naked at a clothing optional bar. Or firing on the local tour trains with water guns, accompanied by my date's sons. Or any other number of things. Yes, even occasionally dancing. And my response is always some variation of "So?" or "And?"

Look, I'm not suggesting you try to be me. (I'm not that cruel--you've got enough problems! ) But stop worrying about what others MAY think about you. You are going to the gym to improve an aspect of your life. Chances are, most of the other people there wouldn't hold that against you. And those that would, that would judge you, or would even be such soulless slugs as to say something to you along those lines?

Fuck 'em. They are beneath you, and not worthy of your stress or worry. Stop giving them all this power over you that they have no right to.

You went back to the gym to take some of your life back. Well, pal, how about you take it all back? You're the only one standing in your way.
      Last edited by Jester; 06-19-2013, 06:22 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I am not remotely skinny. And I also am a member of a 24-hour gym. And I can tell you it gets dang busy there at 4-5am (except on weekends!).

A few things I have learned:

(1) The other gym people are too focused on their own workouts to pay you much attention. They're focused on their own workouts (and their own insecurities).

(2) It gets easier. The gym can be intimidating at first, but it will get easier with time. You'll grow to be less self-conscious and may even develop a rapport with your fellow gym-mates. So don't give it up!
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

Here's what most people at the gym are thinking:

God this is boring.
          I wish they'd put something decent on the TV for a change.
          I'm glad I brought <a good book/my tablet/my DVD player>.
          3 more reps to go. I can do it. I can do it.
          Must maintain form. C'mon corset muscles... we can do this...
          If I run another quarter mile can I reward myself with a cheeseburger?

*snip*
          When I was going to the gym, these were definitely me, with "God, this is boring!" being the main one. The gym could've been jammed to the hilt, it could've been completely empty, Johnny Depp could've been on the next machine wearing nothing at all ... it wouldn't have mattered. I just wanted to get through my hour or so of torture and get out of there -- and try to refrain from stopping at a doughnut shop (hey, I just exercised for an hour! I'm entitled!) on the way home.

Comment

When I see someone who appears* not in the best shape at the gym or out running or whatever, I think, "Cool. He's doing something positive." It puts a smile on my face and motivates me to do more.

*I'm generally not considered very overweight, but I am weak with little athletic ability. Appearance means little when it comes to health.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Im part of a 24 hr gym as well and unfortunatly have the bad habit of people watching while Im working out. I'm not judging Im just watching to see how other people do work outs cause I hate asking anyone anything.

However if you can get the courage go ask one of the very muscled people how to do one of the work outs they are doing. Usually they are incredibly nice and happy to show how to do something that they enjoy as well.

I am skinny cause I am tall but not in any shape at all, and usually the thought running through my mind is "Oh God I am gonna die but I gotta do another rep otherwise hubby will make me do 10 more" Hes really good at pushing me. If you can find a gym buddy it helps with the bordums too

Comment

Quoth evilfarmer View Post
                Im part of a 24 hr gym as well and unfortunatly have the bad habit of people watching while Im working out. I'm not judging Im just watching to see how other people do work outs cause I hate asking anyone anything.
                That's what I do too! Some of the machines don't come with direction, and I like to see people do things with the proper form.

Comment

I get looked at by people quite a bit at the rec center. Probably because 'hey. Woman in a wheelchair on the track. That's different'. After much practice and learning not to be annoyed, I just smile and occasionally wave as I'm passing by them and move on.

And I do the occasionally sneaking glances at people thing too. It's mostly to see if anyone I know is on the machines or lifting weights downstairs. And because, admittedly, there are occasionally some very attractive men in the weight-training section (one of whom always smiles and waves to me when he sees me. ^-^). The only people I ever go 'O.o' at are the ones who insist on spending their entire time at the rec center texting or otherwise doing nothing remotely similar to working out. Like this guy one time who was sitting on a bike, not pedaling at all, and had his laptop out and propped up on the handlebars for like 15 minutes.
                  "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Made me think of this thread. I think I mentioned this attitude in my first reply, so nice to see it echoed.

ETA: Changed piccy and here's the cheezburger link. Thanks for the heads up J-man.
                    Last edited by sms001; 08-17-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

SMS, can you link that? I can't read it...it's too small, and every time I try to expand th screen on my iPad to fight that, it just clicks it back to your post.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                      X