This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car sucks

Sometimes when I'm driving my car will keep going but for about 5-10 seconds it won't accelerate, out of the last 3 months its happened 5 times 2 of those times were yesterday. I'm just frustrated and pissed off I know I have to take it in but at this point I wanna just junk it and see how much I can get for different parts, I knew I needed to start looking for a new car I just didn't think it would be this soon. I know I won't be able to go on vacation this year because of this, I fucking hate it.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

So it's not responsive to the gas pedal, just idles? That's typically a problem with the gas pedal assembly. Recent vehicles are "drive by wire" and when the sensor doesn't pick up the computer just keeps the engine at idle. Replacing the gas pedal assembly is an easy fix.

Comment

It doesn't slow but it doesn't accelerate either then after like 5-10 seconds it kind of kicks and starts accelerating again, I asked my mother about 20 minutes ago and she told me that it might be the transmission. I really hope it's not, if it is then I'm gonna be stuck at home for vacation.
      ......../\
      ....../__\
      ..../\...../\
      ../__\../__\

Comment

At least you have a car. I wish I had a junker. My just got totaled. I'm going to have to take the bus until I can save up enough for the down payment on a new one.

Comment

Does the engine rev? If yes, it's the transmission. If no, it's the gas pedal or something similar.

Comment

How 'recent' is the vehicle?

I'm asking, because I just went through something similar with the 1970 MGB I'm working on. Up until last weekend, the gas pedal would nearly hit the floor stop before it would do anything. The engine would rev, but not very well. The only way I could raise the RPMs temporarily...was to pop the hood, and lift the linkage between the carbs. Turns out that the throttle cable had some serious slack in it. When I'd floor it, the cable wasn't moving the linkage enough. I had the cable adjusted, and all is good now. Yes, I know that technology has improved since '70. But, some cars still used cables to open the throttles until the 90s
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

It's the transmission, since its not 3 years or anywhere near 100,000 miles yet they have to replace it for free. I found the work receipt and transmission warranty, I'm just hopping they don't pull some shit to weasel out of honoring it.
              ......../\
              ....../__\
              ..../\...../\
              ../__\../__\

Comment

Glad there's a warranty on the transmission. I was going to reply that I had a similar experience with a 93 GMC Sonoma. Thought it would need full rebuild, but they were able to replace the one burned out clutch for under $900. That's the easiest I've ever gotten out of a transmission shop. My 01 Ranger needed a full rebuild, and that set me back $2600. (2 weeks before we were leaving for a 7-day Alaska cruise.) Ugh.

Here's hoping they honor the warranty with no hassle.
                That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Got a call from the repair shop and the guy said he didn't feel anything wrong so he'll flush it and I can pick it up tomorrow for $120.

Just got another call and apparently it's $144 now.
                  Last edited by Zellie Crescent; 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM.
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

Working...
                  X