This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know that feeling... (long)

...when you suddenly are facing the direction you just came from?

So this actually happened last year, I'd just finished running errands and was on my way back and took my usual route. At one of the lights on the way home, there's a blindspot caused by a huge funeral home sign (Mr. Hero, if he's reading this, might be able to guess which one). Back then, when the light would change, I'd give the intersection a cursory glance in both directions to quickly determine if there was a car that wasn't stopping. I've since started doing careful looks.

I accelerate into the intersection when the light turns green, and I'm about halfway through when I get that little tiny glimmer of movement out of my peripheral vision, and have enough time to think, "Oh, shit," before experiencing a jarring impact and realizing I am now facing the bridge that I just passed underneath.

I performed the mental diagnostics, "What just happened? Am I okay? What the FUCK just happened?" And after collecting myself, I looked over at the other car, which, as it was still moving, meant what seemed like 45 seconds was really about 3. After memorizing their license plate, and then realizing they weren't going anywhere, I got out of my car to make sure they were okay (yes, I did, the person who got creamed).

Got up to the window, and there's a little old lady sitting there, obviously stunned, phone in hand, and I ask, "Are you ok?" Her response, "Yes, I think so. Should we call the cops?"

Her Mitsubishi Lancer is about 75% the length it used to be, and rear driver's side wheel on my Subaru Forester is sitting at a nice 45 degree angle from the up and down it should be so, neither of us are going anywhere unassisted. So all I can say is, "Yes, we probably should."

Thankfully, as I'm talking to her, two drivers who had pulled into a nearby parking lot exited their vehicles and came up to me saying they saw everything, and that she had run the light (the one behind her also stated that her speed was erratic, lots of slowing down and speeding up).

She was taken by ambulance to the hospital (where she had apparently just left from having foot surgery) to get checked out due to her age, but her son showed up, and I exchanged insurance info with him after he gave me a ride home (roommates weren't answering phones), and her insurance company bought me a new car after determining that she managed to do $7800 worth of damage (which could have been worse, considering a half a second later and she would have hit my door).

I still remember what one of the cops said to me after arriving on scene and getting accounts: "We're definitely writing a ticket today. Not to you! You're fine, your rates shouldn't even increase."
    Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Glad you were ok, and got your car replaced. Something similar happened to me several months after I got my license. I will never forget since a. I had to beg my dad to let me take the car as it was raining, and he said "its not you I'm worried about, its the OTHER drivers" and b. I had stopped at the end of my street and realized oops, no seatbelt, and put it on. This was back in 1983, before seatbelts were mandatory.

In my town, there was a main road, with a bunch of side streets crossing it. At each intersection, there was a stop sign. So I'm driving along, and I have the right of way, and wham, something hits the back of my mom's station wagon, and spins me around so I'm facing the other way. I was stunned, and my neighbor, who was out jogging, came over and asked if i was ok. My first words were "my dad's going to kill me"

An older woman, in a huge Oldsmobile, had run the stop sign and slammed into me. SHe got the ticket based on where she hit me, and the force, as the cop said there was no way she stopped, and then got going as fast as she did to hit me, in half of the intersection. I was fine, adn the car, for the most part was too.

Comment

I do know that feeling! I got rear-ended by a drunk driver on a slick highway in winter! It's not fun. You didn't say, but I hope you are alright. Those sort of accidents can be quite jarring to the body. I had to have surgery after mine and my shoulder will never be the same. Glad to hear her insurance covered it for you.
      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Quoth Skrae View Post
        Got up to the window, and there's a little old lady sitting there, obviously stunned, phone in hand, and I ask, "Are you ok?" Her response, "Yes, I think so. Should we call the cops?"
        yeah, lady. Call them and tell them you were talking on your phone whilst driving erratically, possibly still impaired from whatever they gave you at the hospital you just left and are now going back to because you just clobbered an innocent bystander's car. Go on, I dare ya...

. . . rear driver's side wheel on my Subaru Forester is sitting at a nice 45 degree angle from the up and down it should be
        There's a sub-forum on subaruforester.org called ""Member Mishaps", where Foz owners post the stories (and sometimes pictures) of what happened to their rides. The basic consensus of the posters there is, it's only metal and glass, and if it died saving your life, then it was worth it. Glad to hear you're OK.

Comment

I've probably been in about a dozen accidents over thirty years of driving, luckily none of them too serious. I recently found out my wife has never been in a single car accident in her life.

A few years ago we were in a subway train accident. As we are waiting in the emergency room for her to get stitches she is shaking like a leaf so I decide to try to lighten the mood...

Me: Hey! It's just like being in a car accident except with a lot more people!
          Wife: I've never been in a car accident.
          Me: Oh. Yeah...that whole "suddenly moving in a new and interesting direction" thing does take some getting used to.
          You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

My mother had a job delivering developed pictures to the stores where people had dropped them off. (You know, you drop off the envelope and get it back a day or 3 later). Middle of winter, tiny little company car. like really small. This was over 25 years ago, so can't remember the make or model. However, she starts down a hill and the wind hit the car just right. Car did a FULL somersault and landed back on the wheels and kept going. My mom swore (& still does) that if it hadn't kept going so she had to keep driving, she might never have gotten behind the wheel again. We all felt the weirdest part was that the wheel didn't pop when the entire weight of the car landed back on them...

Comment

Working...
            X