This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible?

Every so often, we will get a customer who returns an audiobook with a sticky note saying something along the lines of "Track #19 on CD #4 skips". My guess is that the customer is assuming we have the equipment to isolate the said part of the CD and repair it, so I'm wondering......is this at all possible to do?

Not to the best of my knowledge -- and if it is possible, not with equipment that any place short of a CD factory would have. Even then, it would probably be simpler to just replace the disc. A CD can be fixed/resurfaced easily & cheaply, tho such repairs are not permanent. As long as a scratch canNOT be seen from the label side when you hold a disc up to the light, it's repairable. If you can see light the through the disc, it's toast.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have a CD that used to skip at a certain point. No other CD did that. I got a new CD player, and the skipping stopped. Skipping can be caused by a slightly misalignment in the CD player.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I have a CD that used to skip at a certain point. No other CD did that. I got a new CD player, and the skipping stopped. Skipping can be caused by a slightly misalignment in the CD player.
        Makes sense.....I've sometimes wondered if problem was whatever the customer was playing the CD on, because we've got a few "regular" names returning these items.

Comment

A cd player is supposed to compensate for differences in velocity at different points on the cd from the radius. A point moving faster farther out and such. As the CD player degrades over time the mechanism does keep up and produces skipping on clean CDs.

Comment

I had a cd player that always skipped on track six of any cd I'd put in, well all but one but that was because the track was so short.
            Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

They might be trying to cover their own arse so they don't get charged for damages.
              "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
              - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I've informed the library of exactly where I was having trouble with a cd/dvd/game disc, but my reason is to save them time and frustration. If I just say "this disc skipped", then the employee might have to listen to/watch/play the whole darn thing, wasting lots of time. Or, if they don't do that and rent it to somebody else, that somebody else might be an SC and go all sorts of crazy on them and which wouldn't be fun. If I tell them "7 minutes into episode 6 on disc 3", then then can queue the disc to exactly that point in order to determine if it was my player or they really do have a damaged disc, and then respond accordingly.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

A friend had one of those 'smoother' type things where it spun and polished it a while and managed to make most discs a bit better. No idea what they are called though.

However even those can't rescue a bad disc that easily.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                    A friend had one of those 'smoother' type things where it spun and polished it a while and managed to make most discs a bit better. No idea what they are called though.

However even those can't rescue a bad disc that easily.
                    Disk resurfacers. Essentially a polishing disk with a very fine abrasive plate. It works to a degree on lightly scratched disks (ie a best a crapshoot as to whether it will work and the scratches have to be very shallow) but a gouge or deep mark is a total write off.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I find that some drives/players are pretty useless at reading even a slightly substandard disc, while a few are particularly excellent at working on a damaged disc. I even have one drive which is almost useless at reading DVDs, but which is my second-best drive at reading CDs.

There are a number of reasons for such differences. Some are mechanical - perhaps one drive doesn't hold the disc as firmly as another, allowing it to vibrate as it spins - while others are in firmware, with only a few drives properly implementing the full capability of the error correction built into the CD format. Some drives have more trouble tracking the spiral groove than others, which results in skipping. A few particularly awful drives even return bad, uncorrected data without even a hint that it is less than perfect.

Comment

it should be mentioned that a daqmaged CD can be read easier than a damaged DVD because a DVD has a higher storage density. ( basically, the dips.burns.whatever used to indicate if each bit is 1 or 0 are smaller) so a drive bad at reading scratched DVDs would also fail at reading scratched Blu-ray DVDs, if it can read them. ( thats why a scrated CD or DVD can be unreadable- if the scratch is deeper than whatever marks the 1 or 0, the disk is bad. if ti's shallower, it can be fixed with a resurfacer)

Comment

Working...
                        X