Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In today's edition: why is my rate so low!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In today's edition: why is my rate so low!?!

Do you have a savings account? Is it making next to nothing in interest? Do you have a cd? Is it making only a few pennies more than that?

Guess what. That is the world we live in. Bank deposit rates = zilch.

Sure, you can find a few specials. All designed to get you in the door and into additional products that actually make the bank money. Because savings accounts and cd's cost the bank money. They pay you to deposit the money so they can use your money on things like loans. But right now, there is a competitor for giving money to the banks. The federal reserve rates are next to nothing. If banks can borrow all the money they need for loans at next to nothing, why would they pay you more?

Is that my fault? Do I have any control over it whatsoever? I guarantee to you that I do not. And your threats to take your money elsewhere mean nothing to me. Actually, they probably mean nothing to the bank. I repeat, deposits *cost* the bank money. We can buy the money elsewhere. The only reason we even take your money is because we HAVE lowered rates to the point where your money is, again, cheaper than the government's money. That and the opportunity to sell you other services that do make us money.

And yet again and again and again, I have customer after customer asking for specials on their cd rates. Why aren't rates higher? When are we going to raise rates? Can't we offer anything higher just for *them* special snowflake that they are?

Know what that question triggers in my training? An attempt to sell you over to our investment services (otherwise known as products that make money for the bank).

Had a guy the other day that tried to argue that his 5-year cd rate should be raised because our 5-year auto loan rates are higher. Um. Yeah they are. That's called the first and foremost way that banks traditionally make money. And I don't work for some mega-bank making record profits. To compete and try to keep up local loyalty, we offer lower fees and MUCH better car loan and credit card rates. That cuts into our margins, and means we really *can't* afford to pay better than market rates for your deposits.

But of course, you don't want to hear that. You just want to complain your way into a better rate. Well, complain away, because I get paid the same either way. And frankly, my job security is built off of my bank staying solvent, something a LOT of small local banks have been failing at. So personally, I'm glad our deposit rates are low.

Especially when, at the end of the day, you went and bought the cd anyway. Because you know as well as I do that rates out there stink. So WHY must you waste my time arguing against the tide when I have absolutely no control over it?

Side note:

And if ONE more person asks if they can just keep the 5% APY that they had before their cd came due.... NO. NO you cannot. When a CD comes due, that great rate from 5 years ago is gone. That's why it was called a 5-year cd. Should have bought more of them 5 years ago when that's what we were recommending that you do.

*bleh* It's not that I don't understand the frustration, especially for people scared of the markets and who are trying to live partially off their savings. It just gets old, is all, and I really can't do a thing to change it.

Personally, I'm not sure why banks still bother with consumer depository banking at all. It's a thankless task with high customer service burdens, generally small deposits, a thicket of regulations on those small accounts, and the only way to make money at all is to depend on customers who can't do math and keep the overdraft fees flowing in. You end up in a situation where your most profitable customers are the SC's, and the money-losing customers are the ones any teller would be more than happy to have stroll through the door.

Comment

Well, people with individual accounts tend to go back to their own bank if/when they decide to open a business - and business accounts are a good source of income. What with small business loans, lines of credit, merchant checking accounts, etc. the goodwill alone from maintaining personal accounts ends up being worth it.

I've just started working in a credit union's corporate office, so I'm sure I'm in for an education soon. (It just happens to be the one I've been a member of for ten years, so I already have a vested interest.)
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Look, it's very simple. If you want the rates that are common for auto loans, then start making auto loans yourself. There's risk and paperwork involved, compared to the CDs which are insured by the government. Nothing stopping you from going into the loan business.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          Nothing stopping you from going into the loan business.
          Other than the fact that I am broke anyway ;-) LOL

Comment

Honestly I thought this one was going somewhere else... has anyone else had someone question how low the rate/cost for something is?

"The room is only HOW MUCH?? How can it be so low?!"
            "Uh... I can charge you more... if you want?"

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
              Honestly I thought this one was going somewhere else...
              lol - yeah, I did too Skarred. Kind of a reverse SC sort of thing.

Quoth bankworking View Post
              We can buy the money elsewhere.
              That's the root of the problem right there I'm afraid, bw. Most people have absolutely no idea how banking works, and don't realize that that's what you're doing. And yet they have no problem figuring out that increasing the margin between what they pay for raw materials and what they sell the finished product for in their own workplace is essential. Money's a big mystery to many, like computers.

Comment

Working...
              X