This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real-life ‘Star Trek’ Tricorder Could Save Lives

This is so cool. Now only if someone could build a transporter or maybe the Enterprise. LOL

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-cou...5401.html?vp=1
    "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

That's just awesome ^_^ I can see something like that being quite useful in emergency rooms (as long as you can keep people from walking away with the things)
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

As for the transporter, they're workin' on it. According to the book "The Physics of Star Trek" (which was published about 15 or so years ago) they managed to do it with a photon of light. I don't know how much farther they have gotten, but I imagine a major breakthrough would have been in the news since then.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

This is awesome. A coworker of Mom's has a son that fell out of a second story window when he was a toddler. He is now in and out of the hospital with seizures, even lucky to be alive at all. I can only imagine how this would help someone like him...
        Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
          As for the transporter, they're workin' on it. According to the book "The Physics of Star Trek" (which was published about 15 or so years ago) they managed to do it with a photon of light. I don't know how much farther they have gotten, but I imagine a major breakthrough would have been in the news since then.

SC
          I also heard that they're trying to actually work on "warp" capabilities. Apparently, it can be done, but at this point it's only been done in a vacuum with lasers. I think it's based on the Alcubierre drive (I think that's the guy's name).

I saw it on the Science Channel, and I don't think it was one of those "sci-fi" ones, either (like Sci-Fi Science).
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

You have chest pain? It could be indigestion, or the start of a heart attack. The tricorder could tell you which it is, and you could get to a hospital before it's too late.

This is brilliant. It would be a very useful diagnostic tool, and could possibly save a lot of lives.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

is it bad that I'm hoping they create a version that looks like a pepper-shaker?

(you know, to make it look even more TOS)

Comment

Working...
              X