This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated with Technical Recruiters

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I'm getting really frustrated with technical recruiters.

My most recent frustration:

I've taken some PTO (Paid Time Off) for the past week. Well, the Friday previous to my PTO, a technical recruiter contacts me and wants me to meet with him at his office (this is usually not necessary, IMHO, but I humored the guy), and he was going to submit me to XYZ company for an interview on Tuesday.

So, I take time out of my vacation day Monday to drive the forty-five to fifty miles (one way) to have a basically useless 40-45 minute meeting with the guy (counting wait time). Seriously. The stuff we talked about could have been discussed over the phone or email. There was no real need for me to meet him face-to-face.

Anyway, Tuesday rolls around, and I don't hear from him for most of the day. So I call him around 4:30 or so, and he says, "I'm trying to set something up for later in the week."

At this point I'm thinking, "So why the heck did you basically tell me you needed me to meet with you on a Monday, because you wanted me to interview on Tuesday?!"

Anyway, the days roll on, and I think it was either Wednesday or Thursday when I get back in touch with him. Then he tells me, "Oh, it's probably not going to be this week..."

Well, nice of you to wait for me to call before you tell me! When I expressed (politely) my indignation about this, he just said, "Sorry, I'm at the mercy of the CTO."

So then, I start corresponding with him via email. Well, a day or so later, he tells me, "They might be changing the scope of the position from X to Y." Arrrgh!!

I was hoping to have gotten the interview (or interviews) knocked out while I was on PTO. While I telecommute two days a week (Monday and Friday), it's more difficult for me to "disappear" for three hours, even on my telecommute days (though it's easier on those days).

I really dislike working with Technical Recruiters. Mainly because I've never, ever gotten a job through one. Unfortunately, more and more companies are using them. I don't have anything against them personally, I just feel like sometimes they're either jerking me around or wasting my time (probably not intentionally, though). I even had a technical recruiter tell me that they will occasionally post bogus job postings just to get resumes!

Part of it, though, I think I have to take the blame for. I'm working on improving my skill set, but a lot of employers want "OTJ" experience with the skills I'm working on acquiring. That, and sometimes my requests are kinda narrow. Due to familial circumstances, I don't want to have to drive a LONG way (driving close to an hour is basically out of the question). That said, I live in a small town about half an hour outside of a major metro area, so finding stuff sometimes is a bit difficult.

I even told one recruiter, "Look, I'm not interested in wasting my time or yours."

Another one wanted to accept a position (if I were offered it) on my behalf. Yeah, I don't think so. Homey don't play that.

Sorry, I just needed to express frustration. I've just dealt with so many of them for so many different positions that really didn't go anywhere.

I get that it's a "numbers game" and if you cast a wide enough net you eventually catch a fish. It's just frustrating.
    Last edited by mjr; 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

On the bogus postings front -- There are times, for reasons better off left on Fratching -- that corporations, BIG ones in particular, are forced to post certain "Job Openings" publically that they have no intention to fill by any means other than promoting someone internally. Thus, they are required to solicit and accept resumes from outside applicants, and just never even set up an interview at all.

It would not suprise me at all if they might also (willingly) do so "just to get resumes". Why, I honestly do not know.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      On the bogus postings front -- There are times, for reasons better off left on Fratching -- that corporations, BIG ones in particular, are forced to post certain "Job Openings" publically that they have no intention to fill by any means other than promoting someone internally. Thus, they are required to solicit and accept resumes from outside applicants, and just never even set up an interview at all.

It would not suprise me at all if they might also (willingly) do so "just to get resumes". Why, I honestly do not know.
      That's interesting. Because the Tech Recruiter told me that the bogus postings didn't come from big companies, but from the Tech Recruiter Firm itself.

I know this because I asked him about this "other position" that they had, and he said, "Oh, that one isn't real. We just put that up there to get resumes."

I wish I had the money to do what a good friend of mine just did. He started his own LLC, and even is in the process of copyrighting and trademarking stuff right now. I'd do that if nothing else for "side" work at this time.

Though, I don't know how much I'd really be able to do, since I also have school and such.

Comment

Recruiters?!?

Recruiters are there to make a living for themselves first and foremost.

I cheated, when I got laid off in February, I started hitting up multiple recruiters, told them that I was and that they were in competition to find me a job.

I kept a spread sheet of which recruiter submitted me for what job, and I asked them for the job reference number so I could keep track, they had no issue with this. Don't let anyone submit you to a job other than just one recruiter. This is called double dipping and it will piss off the recruiter that submitted you second. Don't be afraid to do this, it takes control out their hands and puts it in yours.

One recruiter told me that I could not do that, and I asked him when would I be starting the new job he would be guaranteeing me? He got very ignorant and told me that he couldn't guarantee anything. That's when I told him that's why I am using multiple recruiters and he wasn't one of them.

Also make sure you get a good profile on Linkedin. Make it look like your resume and make sure you get lots of endorsements. Linkedin is how I found my current job and I am not complaining in the least.

Comment

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
          Recruiters?!?

Recruiters are there to make a living for themselves first and foremost.

I cheated, when I got laid off in February, I started hitting up multiple recruiters, told them that I was and that they were in competition to find me a job.
          You actually have me considering doing this. I really don't want to be antagonistic, though. Don't want to "burn any bridges" as it were.

That said, Would it be strange to email a bunch of them at once and basically tell them what you said? In other words, say something like:

-------------

I've emailed all of you simultaneously. Most/all of you know my criteria and expectations since I've spoken to you on the phone, however if those change I will let you know.

Since all of you are now aware of this, you are now in a competition to find me employment.

I do not feel it necessary that we need to meet face-to-face for you to find me employment elsewhere. I have attached my most recent resume.

I will keep a spreadsheet as to who contacts me with which position, what firm you are at, and the date.

I will add any additional recruiters to my list as necessary.

-------------

Or is that too harsh or too direct?

Comment

I've always used multiple headhunters when I've been looking for work. Most of the time, it takes nothing more that updating or uploading a new resume on sites like Monster, Workopolis, or Dice.

The slave traders get notified if there is any activity based on their keyword search, and if you have some good/in-demand/niche skills, they will be all over you like buzzards on roadkill.

The last 5 jobs over the last decade I have got have been through headhunters - including the current gig.

Their job is to get me a job so that they get paid. While there is some bullcrap that happens in the screening process, it's usually worth the effort.

There's nothing more satisfying to talk to a headhunter when another one get you a job and tell them that they just lost out on a commission. But then again, I'm evil.

B
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
            I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post

Their job is to get me a job so that they get paid. While there is some bullcrap that happens in the screening process, it's usually worth the effort.

B
              I don't get why some of them insist on meeting first, though. There's nothing (besides potential paperwork) that they could tell me in person that they couldn't tell me over the phone or via email. Not only that, but it generally also means an extra day I have to "skip out" of work to go meet with them. And while I'm salaried, I don't want to arouse suspicion with my employer.

One recruiter told me "it's so we can establish a relationship with you". Well, you don't need to meet me to establish a working relationship. Emails and phone calls are fine, in this circumstance. It's not like I'm going to be hanging out with you, or anything. I'm not trying to make you my best friend.

Here's a good example: I have a friendly, cordial, working relationship with a friend of my wife's. A guy I have never met in person. I've talked to him on the phone, and through email. In fact, I'd consider him a friend.

The sad part is, some of them won't submit a person for a position without meeting with them, first.

The other problem that I have, I think, is that I'm not really big on networking, and "social networking". I'm not really a social butterfly. I mean, I get along with people, and have amicable relationships with the few friends and acquaintances I have, but I'm just not big on "social networking" and "networking" in general (unless, of course, it's setting up a network ). I generally find the hobnobbing and schmoozing that comes with a lot of networking to be tedious.

And yes, I know that LinkedIn is different, but there's just something about it, because I haven't found a "need" to use it. I guess it feels too "social network"/facebook like to me.
              Last edited by mjr; 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I really think the meeting in person stuff is to thin out the crowd. They may figure that, if yer willing to be (needlessly) inconvenienced in order to get work, you're worth their time to help out. If not, they put you on the back burner.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sadly, the part about meeting people is correct.

People can say anything, if they are serious they are willing to come meet in person.

And there is nothing wrong with being direct. However, be polite, firm and pleasant.

In no way would you burn bridges by using multiple recruiters. In fact you may hurt your chances by using only one.

but in all things ymmv.....

Comment

Working...
                  X