This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I decide not to be "That" customer

I happen to usually enjoy shopping at Old Navy, today was no exception , I bought $65 worth of stuff . The cashier barely acknowledged me at the register, just snatched my stuff and scanned. I gave her $15 in cash and expected to put 50 on my card. She did not bother to count what I gave her, and put it in as $50 cash. Now I could have EASILY kept my mouth shut, and walked out with one hell of a deal. But I'm a retail slave too, and didn't want to see her get hit with repercussion. So I gently point out the mistake. Her response? " oh. Oops. Whatever", And changed the amounts. Maybe I'm picky. I just know that her attitude stunk royally. When I have made a similar mistake, and a customer corrects me, I go out of my way to thank them for their honesty, and express appreciation for the correction(without it, I would be in a load of trouble obv). I prob should have gone to her manager because I watched her with some other customers. She did NOT count their cash, and was just as put out about having to assist them, as she was with me. So I chose not to give her grief about it. But since she never counts the cash she will eventually get in trouble I assume. Oh well. Oops. Whatever. -.- Am I sucky here for thinking she's kinda sucky?

Personally, if I'd been treated that way I would have considered saying nothing. But for you to save her butt and not be thanked? I would definitely have said something to management.

But as you said, this appears to be a pattern which will end up with her having a good-sized hole in her drawer which will either cost her out of pocket or even get her fired. And it doesn't look like that's much of a loss.

Be interesting to see if she's still there when you go back...

Comment

I had similar to that happen to me a couple of years ago. Paid with £10 and got change for a £20 - ended up having to get the manager over because the cashier was convinced that I was trying to scam them somehow. I had to leave my name and phone number before they'd agree to take back the extra £10 I got in change.

Comment

I certainly wouldn't bother to correct her if she screwed up my money a second time. We don't have individual cash registers, so an error is unlikely to be traced back to one person, but any customer who called my attention to an error like that would get profuse thanks from me nonetheless. She doesn't deserve to have customers saving her butt.

Comment

I count cash very quickly at the till, pretty much just a glance and I know exactly what's there. It's pretty easy here in the UK, cos all our banknotes are entirely different, whereas I believe in the US they're all pretty much identical at first glance. This individual clearly doesn't have the experience she thinks she does, if she's glance-counting and making such fabulous errors.

As for her customer service, yeah have a word with a supervisor. Must do better.
          Shh! My Common Sense is tingling!

Comment

If she's not counting, and just putting it in as the amount, how in blazes is she giving anyone change when they give her more than the amount?
            "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
            -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

She was sucky.

Comment

Wow, did you get Courtney from the Retail strip? Sounds exactly like her. That's the type of employee that gives all of us a bad rep.
                Quoth ZombieDeterrent View Post
                I count cash very quickly at the till, pretty much just a glance and I know exactly what's there. It's pretty easy here in the UK, cos all our banknotes are entirely different, whereas I believe in the US they're all pretty much identical at first glance.
                The newer notes are different colors, though they are all still the same size, unlike the UK.

Still, it only takes a few seconds to see what you've got and enter it correctly. She's really got no excuse.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I personally would have mentioned it to her. However, if her attitude was that flippant about it rather than concerned that her drawer would have been way off, I would have consulted a manager before I left.

That's just not right.

SC
                  "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I've run into a few cases where I was trying to explain that my change was wrong, and the cashier was trying to explain that they had NOT shortchanged me. Eventually the lightbulb went on, and they realized I was trying to tell them that they had given me TOO MUCH change. I guess they're used to customers complaining about being shortchanged even when they weren't, and as soon as someone says they were given the wrong change, they mentally "pigeonhole" it as a complaint about being shortchanged.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X