This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming question (Possible TMI)

This is going to deal with feminine products and cycles so if this is TMI for you or the subject is bothersome to you back out now.
    ----TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE---v----TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE-------TMI SPACE---

Hopefully that's enough space. Ok, so I'm going on vacation next week to Galveston, TX and I have been really looking forward to swimming and generally bumming around in my swim suit. However there is a strong possibility that I'll be on my period at that time. I've never swam on my period before, I've just avoided it altogether.
    My go to brand is usually o.b., but I'm willing to try a different brand that's proven for this situation. I generally have a very heavy flow for the first day or two.
    Another thing, has anyone had any experience with the menstrual cups? I've been tempted to try that in the past, but they just seem like they'd be messy.
    I would prefer that my period would start tomorrow and be done by Sunday, or wait till after I'm done with vacation.

I use Tampax Pearls. I swim every single day and I've never had a problem, though I do find on my really heavy days I do have to change them a bit more frequently if I'm in the water all day. Other than that, they work really well. I don't know about O.B.'s, as I've never used them.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I've used many brands (including O.B.) while swimming and they all were fine. I do agree about having to change them a bit more often, the string will pull water up along with just the movement of swimming.

Make sure the string is tucked in, I've had to intercept friends before and send them to fix it before anyone notice (I wasn't trying to look but it was hard to miss against a black bikini).

Comment

Try the cup on a light day. I think you can even rinse it out. It is a pretty convenient product. I hope yoou have a great time whatever you do!

Comment

O.B. tampons are fantastic because they are rolled and expand width-wise, so they absorb better than anything else. But they discontinued their highest absorbency tampon for that reason, due to concerns about toxic shock. I was so annoyed; at the time I was pretty much hemorrhaging the first day. Tampax Pearl comes in Ultra, which matches the gram absorbency of the discontinued O.B. http://www.pharmapacks.com/products....g#.UdKOKkpulMU If you are very heavy the first day, I'd get those. As for me, I'd be more concerned about hiding the 8 pounds of water weight in my chest and stomach. You can't hide anything in a bathing suit.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I love menstrual cups - I've just used them the first time on my last period. If you can get over starting at a cup of your own blood, then you can use these. The disposable ones can be worn up to 12 hours.

I'm considering buying one of those non-disposable ones.

Comment

I actually just came back from the beach and had the pleasure of my monthly gift coming a week early. But I just used tampons and changed them out often. There was no issue at all.

Of course, that didn't stop Mom from calling me "Shark Bait" the entire time.
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I did the same thing when I was learning how to teach swimming.

First couple of times, I used a tampon with applicator. Plastic ones are a lot more comfortable than the cardboard ones!
                Once I was a bit more comfortable with inserting a tampon, I went ahead and just used regular ones. I still have a bundle of minis for just that.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

You should probably use this one, then. (Though I personally prefer OB)

http://youtu.be/wGZpWOMGJCM
                  "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I use a non-disposable cup called a Keeper Cup. It's natural gum rubber, so if you have a latex allergy, you'll want to use the medical grade silicon equivalent called the Moon Cup. I LOVE this thing. It's WAY better at preventing leaks than any tampon I've used. I found mine at a local homeopathic apothecary, but you can find them here.
                    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Cookie- THANK you for the link. I'm definitely getting one of these.

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                        Of course, that didn't stop Mom from calling me "Shark Bait" the entire time.
                        chortle. Thanks mom.

And from what I gather from commercials, violia, apparently you'll be able to do flawless backflip dives using some of these fem-hyg products!

Have fun regardless of what you decide on.

Comment

If only I knew how to do a flawless backflip. Fortunately Aunt Flow got into town yesterday, so she should be well on her way by Sunday.

Comment

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
                            Cookie- THANK you for the link. I'm definitely getting one of these.
                            You're very welcome!
                            The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Working...
                            X