Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I think I've figured out this "double major" vs "dual degree" thing...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I think I've figured out this "double major" vs "dual degree" thing...

Met over the phone with my academic adviser last week. I had her explain it to me.

Basically, if I go the "double major" route, it would be four extra classes, and my degree would be:

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Mathematics.

Whereas the "dual Degree" would be:

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
    Bachelor of Science in Mathematics

Of course, even if I don't go the "double major/dual degree" route, I would still have the following:

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science

I don't think I want to do the "dual degree" thing, at least at this time.

I guess a dual degree coupled with a Masters would look nice to my peers, and maybe family, but I don't know how much helpful beyond that it would be in my career, considering I'll probably be in my mid-40's by the time it's all said and done.

A "double major" might be OK, but at this point I might just stick with the regular CompSci degree, then work on trying to get the Masters after that. Maybe if Grad School won't accept me (let's hope that doesn't happen!) I can always go back and get the "other" degree...possibly...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I don't think the dual degree would be more useful than the double major, TBH. Math undergrad would be a useful segue into Computer Science, but since you're already getting a bachelors in Computer Science getting the Math would be redundant - you'd be better off getting your bachelors in Math and your masters in Computer Science than getting both as undergrad. The double major could be useful, math and computer science are extremely close (for example, modern databases are based heavily on set theory) and the cost would be extremely low, but it would probably mean an extra semester full time or two part time. Also, if you're going for your masters it will lose some of its punch, the highest degree earned is the one that gets the most notice.

My advice: if you want to work more on the theoretical side, or if you want the math side to inspire your son (mentioned in the previous thread), get the double major. If you want to work more with the practical side of computers, you have to decide if it's worth the extra cost/difficulty. TBH though, it sounds to me like you like the double major and just want to make sure you aren't making a mistake. The cost is low, and if you decide you want to switch to a single major or expand to a double major it's a good middle of the road approach. Your call, but I think you should go for the double major.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
      The key reason I ended up double-majoring is that I had realized that most of my electives were in history so it was nothing to add a couple more classes to that to give me a double major.
      This is kind of where I am right now. I do believe it's either three or four additional math classes, but it's "higher end" math classes. Things like "Intro to Advanced Mathematics", "Modern Algebra I", and "Analysis I".

I could honestly probably pull that off in a couple of "extra" semesters. Then probably another two years or so for the Masters, should I choose to go that route.

I know a Masters degree would be helpful, but I don't know how much more so than an undergrad. I mean, I check job boards quite frequently, and by the time I get my degree I'll have close to two decades of on the job experience in various capacities, and at various levels. That said, I don't see that many postings in my field that are asking for Masters degrees.

My son wants to be a mathematician when he grows up (there's a new one for ya, a kid wanting to get into math instead of being a singer or athlete...).

By the time he gets into college, he may very well need a Masters degree. I don't think he's going to want to go into teaching.

Comment

Pure math makes for an excellent base in computer science, but I wouldn't go that way unless you are sure you are going to complete a master's program. There are a lot of jobs out there for compsci majors with only and undergraduate degree, but all but nothing out there for somebody with only an undergrad degree in math. Hell, I have a hard time finding anything outside of teaching, and I've got a master's degree in mathematics (concentration statistics), along with actuarial certification. If I want to work as an actual statistician in today's market, I really need to get off my ass and finish my Ph.D. The job postings say that a master's is good enough, but there is a metric shitload of unemployed Ph.D.'s out there, so they get the jobs and I don't.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          Pure math makes for an excellent base in computer science, but I wouldn't go that way unless you are sure you are going to complete a master's program.
          Well, my primary focus is the computer science degree. The "double major" would basically be "icing on the cake", heading into the Masters (again, if I choose to go that far -- right now I want to). Part of the "double major" is going to depend on whether or not I can take all the classes online, and how well I do in school.

My son is only 8, but he's told us for going on three years now that he wants to be a "mathematician" when he grows up. I know there are a number of different things that fall under "mathematician", but he can figure that out when he gets older.

Comment

Working...
          X