This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Read For Beer Drinkers

I thought this might be appropriate in the Sightings section since it deals with an insider's view of the mass beer industry.

The book is titled "Silver Bullets- A Soldier's Story Of How Coors Bombed In The Beer Wars". It's written by Robert Burgess, who was Coors' senior marketing analyst during the mid to late 1980s.

Written in 1993, the book details the gross managerial incompetence and endless series of colossal marketing and PR blunders that nearly pushed Coors into bankruptcy during the 1980s. Some of what the book covers includes:

-The openly and unapologetically racist, sexist, homophobic, and anti-liberal attitudes of the Coors family. Attitudes that have caused many blacks, latinos, and gays to boycott Coors to this day.

- Coors ill-fated entry into the premium beer market and the colossal failure of their Masters III and Herman Joseph brands.

- The fiasco of Colorado Chiller, a beer-based cooler that turned cloudy and developed a sour taste when exposed to sunlight.

- How their "brewed cold, shipped cold, stored cold" marketing gimmick was exposed to the consumer public as a barefaced lie.

- Calling their product something it wasn't to keep up with the latest beer trends. Example- changing their famous "Banquet Beer" to the name "Original Draft" when it was never draft to begin with. This boneheaded move confused and alienated many longtime Coors drinkers, further hurting their already declining sales.

- The bizarre circus-like atmosphere inside Coors' corporate offices.

- How Bud, Miller, and even the lowly Stroh's buried Coors in each fiscal quarter, despite Coors' best efforts.

If you're a beer aficionado, or simply like reading about how NOT to run a successful company, this is a great read. Really funny, and occasionally sad.
    Last edited by GreaseMonkey; 07-04-2013, 01:49 AM.

Thank you very much! I'll give it a read sometime.

And not because I like coors either (i like regular coors, not the silver bullet lol)
    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth GreaseMonkey View Post
      - The fiasco of Colorado Chiller, a beer-based cooler that turned cloudy and developed a sour taste when exposed to sunlight.
      So....vampire beer, then?
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        So....vampire beer, then?

Hmm...vampire beer that kills werewolves (silver bullet)?

Comment

Working...
        X