This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This would make a great Mastercard commercial

This actually happened a few weeks ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting it, partly because it just got resolved last weekend. It happened at my favorite karaoke bar one Friday night. The night was fairly uneventful, except for some loudmouth who kept yelling at the DJ. This DJ will sometimes play part of a song when he calls a singer up front, to introduce the singer, so to speak. Well, this one guy got all pissed off because he wasn't playing the entire song, and kept yelling, "You suck!" After several times of this, the DJ finally got tired of it, and announced to the bar, "I don't know who keeps yelling 'You suck!', and I really don't care. If you want me to play something, just ask me and I'll play it. However, if you keep yelling 'You suck!', I'm not playing anything for you!" With that, the loudmouth got up and walked out the door, but not before announcing, "Well I'm leaving! Because you suck!" I think most of the bar was making fun of him after he left. I know my group was.

The next day, we were going to my dad's for the day. I headed out to my car, and noticed the driver side mirror was missing. I stared at it in disbelief, wondering how it could have happened. Could I have accidentally done it somehow, like when my wife walked into her side mirror and broke it off? Or did someone accidentally clip it when they were leaving the bar? Then my wife came out and noticed the one on the passenger side was missing as well. At that point, I knew there was no way that was an accident. Not both mirrors.

The first thing we did was drove back to the bar, to see if anyone knew anything. It turned out it wasn't open yet, but sure enough, my mirrors were lying on the ground right by where I had parked the night before. I figured it was a random act of destruction, and that I wasn't targeted. Most of the people at the bar like me, and I don't think very many people, if any, know what I drive. And I didn't think it was someone like my ex, because she doesn't know where I hang out.

Since the bar wasn't open yet, we went to my dad's like we planned, and stopped by the bar on the way back. I went inside and asked them if they had security camera in the parking lot, and I was told they did. So told them, "Some asshole broke off both my side mirrors!" They told me, "We know. And we got him."

It turned out that some jackass got all stupid drunk and went outside and vandalized five cars. I was almost certain that it was the loudmouth who was yelling at the DJ, but they told me no, it was some other guy. Apparently he hated mirrors, because he damaged several other people's mirrors as well. He also jumped off the outside wall onto the hood of one vehicle. The other vehicles that got hit were the bartender's, the bouncer's (not someone I'd want to piss off), a couple that sometimes comes to karaoke, and one other person I don't know of.

The best part? He had paid his tab with a credit card, so they knew exactly who he was. The owner talked to the police, and then called the guy up and told him, "We can do this one of two ways. You can go to jail, or you can pay for the repairs to the cars you vandalized." He wisely chose to pay for the repairs. The owner wrote each of us a check from his personal account, rather than make us all wait for the other guy to pay up. Any good bar knows to take care of its regulars, but I feel this one went above and beyond.

I was talking to the owner about it the other night, and he told me the guy was very remorseful, and didn't even remember doing any of the damage, and that he actually felt sorry for him. I told him that I didn't. I've gotten overly drunk a few times in my life, and I've done some stupid things. But never anything like that.

So...
    Getting stupid drunk at the bar -- $60.
    Going outside and vandalizing five cars -- $1200.
    Doing it in full view of security cameras after having paid with a credit card -- priceless!
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Clearly this guy was a few cans short of a six-pack. That was really cool of the bartender to cut you a check early. Hopefully the guy doesn't waste too much time ponying up the dough to reimburse the barkeep.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

That's a really awesome owner right there!! Most people wouldn't get involved like that. Gotta love that stupid criminals make it so easy to catch them, too.

Question, did you drive without noticing the mirrors were gone at the time? O_o lol

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
        Question, did you drive without noticing the mirrors were gone at the time? O_o lol
        Yes, I did. I only live about a half a mile from the bar, and sometimes I walk there. I wish I had that night.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
          Clearly this guy was a few six-packs over a kegger...
          Fixed it for you...
          Last edited by dalesys; 07-04-2013, 09:45 AM.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post

I have a wonky* passenger side mirror, so I learned to rely on the main rearview and turning my head. So, it's not that hard to not notice. Heck, someone taking that mirror off would be doing me a favor.

*I'd get it set to the perfect view, leave the car, come back and it's off kilter again. I'd blame the kids, except this is even with hubby taking it to work. And it feels kinda loose. Given it's the hard one to set..
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I don't use any of my mirrors. They're all tilted because I have night blindness. Checking my blind spot is a habit. However, I'd be ticked if someone did that to my car. Not having mirrors can end up earning you a ticket.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My neck doesn't work quite as well as it should due to an accident over a year ago (that is just now getting...shall we say, "resolved") -- I can check my blind spots, just not as quickly as other people, and I gotta move my whole body to do it; no mean feat ~_~ This has led to me doing two things --

1 - I tend to take extra time and an almost paranoid level of caution when shifting lanes (and I avoid the interstate when possible), and

2 - I looked up ways to adjust my mirrors to compensate...but I still check the blindspots as best I can.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  Not having mirrors can end up earning you a ticket.
                  In some states, like Pennsylvania, it can also earn you a fail come state inspection time.

Several years back, I had someone sideswipe my car. Didn't do any damage, other than taking off the driver's side mirror. I got lucky, since the other driver left a note. She was quick to pay, since if she didn't...I would have nailed her ass for hit-and-run. I had to replace the entire mirror assembly--even though I could snap it back into place, the damn thing wouldn't stay where I put it! Total cost for the damage came to about $350.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I got pulled over once for a broken driver's side mirror. Thankfully the cop was nice and let me go because I was returning home from the parts store with the new mirror in the passenger seat.
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

He's lucky. Some lady accidentally hit my mirror with her door and the top piece popped off. It ended up costing her $380 for one new mirror on my car to be replaced.
                      Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

My dad bought an Intrigue when we first moved here back in '03 so I could have the Tempo to take to school and back......oh my gosh, first damn day he had it, he bashed the mirror into the mailbox.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                          ...oh my gosh, first damn day he had it, he bashed the mirror into the mailbox.
                          My dad did that. We were in a rather tight parking garage one night...and as he was reversing into a spot, got a bit too close to a pillar. The driver's side mirror on our '89 Dodge Grand Caravan was destroyed. It didn't shear off the housing, but the glass was toast. His reaction? "This thing is so much bigger than the [Volvo] station wagon..."

It would have been cheaper if he would have simply taken off the damn thing. Instead, it had to be taken apart so the new glass could be installed correctly.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                            I got pulled over once for a broken driver's side mirror. Thankfully the cop was nice and let me go because I was returning home from the parts store with the new mirror in the passenger seat.
                            I've had that happen with a headlight. Should have done it at the parts store, but....

Comment

Working...
                            X